Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chemo 4B

If my treatment goes according to schedule - and that's a big IF - I am now two-thirds done my chemotherapy regime. I should be more excited. But I'm not holding my breath because I don't want to be disappointed if I have to have more chemo, or some addition type of treatment. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and celebrate the little blessings I get along the way.

One was how well everything went on Friday. My blood levels were acceptable to actually get chemo. While my white blood cells were a little high (I've had a runny nose for the past week and may have a touch of a cold) and my red blood cells were a little low (the chemo is kicking them down), neither put a halt to treatment.

I got the bed in the private room, where Michael and I had a bit more privacy. The nurse also started the saline drip while the blood tests were running (instead of waiting until after) and that simple act shaved an hour off my time stuck to the IV pole. So I was out of there around 1 p.m. to do a little shopping and get on with my day.

I also want to celebrate yesterday. I felt great after chemo, had lots of energy and was able to eat decent meals. In fact, we took this good energy day as an opportunity to reorganize our kitchen. Michael got some shelving units from work, and we made them work in our house to create new and better organized kitchen space. No, they don't match our other cupboards (some of which have been "temporary" since we moved in 1999), but it's an improvement. And with limited funding, sometimes, you just become creative. I'm thrilled with the end result, and I'm happy I was able to put the steroid energy to good use before I start to crash.

I suspect I have one more decent day before the side effects kick in and I'm going to celebrate by having lunch with some friends. But, I have to admit, so far the side effects are generally tolerable. I get tired, bitchy, depressed, lethargic, antsy and lose concentration, I seem to be avoiding most of the painful physical ailments.

Fingers crossed, my stomach even seems to be continuining to behave a little better with fewer vomiting episodes.

I suspect the tiredness will start to become more of a problem during my last few treatments though as my red blood cells will probably continue to drop. But one day at a time. Those ninjas need the energy and blood to fight the cancer. If need be, I'll get another blood transfusion to boost them up.

Now I'm going to go take advantage of my cooperating stomach and enjoy a hot cuppa java and read a novel. Mmmmm. Enjoy your Sunday.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment