Sunday, January 10, 2010

A chilly Sunday morning

On this bitterly cold Sunday morning, I thought I'd provide a quick update:

Mom and mixed messages
You know you're getting good care when there's a oncology roundtable discussion about you. (Yes, I know it could be because they're stumped or concerned, but I choose to believe otherwise.) On Thursday, Dr. P informed my mom she was the subject of such a meeting and as a result, she'd be referred to a medical oncologist (which I'm guessing is what you get when you don't have a specific, common cancer).

But then Dr. C never mention this extra doctor during her afternoon appointment, when they discussed the kidney and ureter surgery. How odd.

Even stranger still, on Friday mom got a call with an appointment this Thursday with a medical oncologist. We don't know what it all means, but she's going to go to the appointment to find out. Just when we thought we had all the answers regarding my mom's care (surgery and done), this new doctor's thrown in the mix. Again, a state of flux. Not that we're especially worried about it - more confused with the mixed messages.

Date change - Join me
Oh, and this week I learned date for the Run for Ovarian Cancer (http://www.runforovariancancer.ca/) changed again due to park availability. Even though the official website isn't updated yet, the new date is Sunday, May 16.

Man, that decreases my training time by two weeks! I know it's going to be a difficult physical challenge for me because I am NOT a runner. But I'm determined to manage it somehow. Please join me in the run or make a donation. All funds go directly to ovarian cancer research in London. Woo hoo!

Working full time
I'm now working full time. It's tiring to engage a full schedule of work, kids, activities, exercise and a social life. I really noticed my lagging energy at the end of last week. Thanks to my flexible boss for allowing me to work from home on Friday. Eliminating the trek back and forth to work helped me start to rebuild my energy stores. I should be good to go for another week by the time tomorrow morning rolls around.

Positive thoughts
These days I'm focusing on thinking positive thoughts about my health. I'm working out, starting to eat better, after the indulgences of Christmas and my birthday, and trying to believe the cancer is gone (and carry on as if it is). My brain is allowing me to think just a little further into the future - one without cancer treatments. I'm currently planning my trip to Florida for March Break and tentatively thinking about summer.

Fingers crossed, my mental images will translate into reality. But I guess I'll find out in less than a month. Until then, I'll enjoy one day at a time.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment