Thursday, January 7, 2010

Go play

Play. When is the last time you played? When did you do something simply for the pure joy it brings you? If you think about it (or better yet, say it out loud), even the word is fun.

I was reading a book yesterday and it talked about the importance of play for our mental health (and cancer-fighting abilities). We should set aside time to play, just as we schedule time for family, work and exercise, so we make it a priority.

"Living well requires play," writes Greg Anderson in the book Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do. "Millions of people believe that grown-ups should not play. Somehow we think that playing is not the mature thing to do. Challenge this thinking. From this moment forward, I want you to understand that play is an important part of your "work" of wellness."

Playing can be many things - flying a kite, playing cards, dancing, jumping in the waves, playing an instrument, singing, building a snow fort (and having a snowball fight), walking on the beach, playing a board or video game, or snowshoeing. But it has to be something you participate in for the pure joy the activity brings.

Some people think they're playing, when actually they're not. If you feel any sense of obligation or shoulds associated with the activity, it's not actually play. For example, I go to many different exercise classes. While I enjoy them, I feel I should go to better my health, lose weight, strengthen my heart, tone my muscles. I love the way they make me feel and the endorphins they release, but they aren't really playing.

Playing involves an activity you'd do, even if there was no benefit to it whatsoever. It's something you eagerly anticipate, makes you smile and leaves you with that happy feeling. Sometimes, because we're programmed not to play, it can induce guilt.

I really like playing this computer game called Zuma. While it may enhance hand-eye coordination (and maybe even that's a stretch), there's no real benefit to playing it. Yet, sometimes when I load it up on my computer, I feel guilty. I think I should be doing something more constructive. But no, what I really need to say to myself is, "You should be playing. Have fun girl!" So, I've tried to push those guilty feelings down and simply enjoy playing the game.

So give yourself permission to play. Do what makes you happy and smile with glee. It's for your own good health.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Tina, I've just become real active on facebook ... games and all. I needed some play time.

    ReplyDelete