Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Digging deep

Yesterday I complained about how tired I was, but I dug deep and rose above the challenges the day tossed at me. It's amazing the strength one can pull out when necessary. I'm not saying my day was horrible, but I had one small, niggly challenge after another - and I think I did okay.

First thing in the morning, I worked out with my personal trainer. As usual, T challenged my legs, abs and arms in new and creative ways. While I complained at the beginning of the session I was tired (and I thought to myself I should cancel), T said it was one of my best efforts. Go figure.

Then as I was enjoying my lunch, the principal from our school called. Noah threw a bit of ice and then wasn't complying with requests to go to the office. Even though, as I learned later, he was awesome in the classroom, this defiant non-compliance with requests is deemed dangerous. As a result, he had to go home. He's suspended today too.

So I packed up my desk and my work for the afternoon. I rescheduled a meeting and I went to face the principal. As a kid who rarely got in trouble and never visited the principal's office during my school career, I'm now a regular at the office of my kids' school. We're all on a first name basis, I get hugs from the secretary, etc.

Then as I'm working from home in the afternoon and directing Noah's scholastic activities, I get another call from the school. Tara - my kid who never gets in trouble, except maybe for talking - got in a fight while defending her friend. As the story goes, during break, some boys were picking on her friend and wouldn't leave her alone. So Tara told the boys, "You'd better run." When they didn't, she threw one to the ground and punched him a couple of times.

Part of me wants to laugh and pump my fist my little girl is strong and confident enough to fight for herself. I also think it's admirable she stood up for her friend. But I can't condone violence either - and especially not in front of her. If this weren't her first infraction, she'd be suspended too!

So I had serious talks with both my children yesterday about proper behaviour, following the rules of the school, accidently hurting someone, etc. Those types of conversation don't put me in a good mood.

Then Michael had a stressful day at work, which affects him physically. Add on the fact his kids were both in trouble yesterday and he was in a bad place last night. Poor guy.

But for some reason, I was able to dig deep, roll with the punches and find the strength to deal with everything that happened. These types of situations are going to happen, they're part of life.

Of course, deep down, I'm thinking about my CT scan, which is quickly approaching. I'm trying not to worry about it and remain positive. I know subconsciouly, I'm pondering the results and what negative results will mean to me and my family.

I also learned last week my mom will probably need chemotherapy as a preventative measure after her ureter/kidney removal. I don't wish chemo and all its horrible side effects on anyone, let alone my mom. I worry about her too.

So, I'm taking a deep breath to face another day. I have it laid out before me, with many opportunities and challenges. It's up to me to choose how I'll respond to its events. I know most days, I have the opportunity to make it good or bad (although some days just careen out of control).

We all face the same opportunity every morning when we open our eyes. Will our day be good because of our choices? Good luck!

Tina

1 comment:

  1. That is all we can do is roll with the punches. I remeber when my kids were in school, I think it keeps you as busy as the kids are. With afterschool activities and science projects and concerts. Would not have missed it for the world. It is tough on everyone to get into the routine again after a nice holiday. You will always be able to roll with the punches, what else is there; only defeat and we know you would not allow that.
    Have a great tuesday.

    ReplyDelete