Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gratitude and optimism

I'm still regularly surprised at some of the changes in my perspective. I hate winter - the snow, the cold, the bundling up, etc. But my attitude has shifted somewhat towards this coldest and darkest of seasons.

When I was a kid, I'd head out into the winter wonderland to skate on the frozen creek in our backyard or burrow into the snow-piled river banks to create forts and secret hideaways. Angie and I would play for hours and then make our way to the house to shed our snow-covered winter wear and warm up.

Since we lived in the country and rode a bus to school, monster snow storms would produce bonus holidays. We'd have extra time to play, watch TV and burrow in the comfort of our home.

As I grew, I discovered I don't really like the snow and cold (and I get far fewer bonus snow days). Sure, I enjoy a few winter activities, like cross country skiing and tubing, but I don't do either regularly. Skates hurt my wide, flat feet and an accident at Mt. Ste. Anne during the grade 13 Quebec trip (and I have to admit age) deters me from downhill skiing. Winter activities weren't enough to change my feelings for this cold, long season.

I'd much rather be swimming, cavorting in shorts, riding my bike, or lounging in the backyard or on a sandy beach with warmth and sunshine than enduring the ice and snow.

But yesterday, as Michael, Tara and I were out scouring furniture stores for the perfect (meaning comfortable, small and reasonably priced) love seat, a winter storm descended on London. The driving conditions were slick. The snow pelted our heads and bodies as we made our way from the van to the furniture stores. And the overheated stores required disrobing while we sat on dozens of couches.

Yet, I discovered my attitude towards the winter weather wasn't what it once was. I didn't curse the blowing snow. Even when I stepped in a drift that coated my pant legs and resulted in snow making its way into my boots, my mostly cheerful attitude didn't waver.

I consciously realized, I was grateful for the opportunity to experience another winter (enjoy is a little too strong of a word). My hope is to be able to experience many, many more (which means lots of summers - my favourite season - too).

I started the new year right - and the way I wanted to - with the belief that how I bring in the new decade will foreshadow what happens in it. We celebrated at home with our good friends, Diane and Pete. We played cards, drank beer, ate, laughed, sang and wore comfy clothes. It was awesome. New year's day, we did the same thing (doubly reinforcing the new 2010 vibe).

And I've started the first few days of the new year with an attitiude of gratitude and optimism. I'm thankful for every day, experience, month and season. I'm trying to be as positive as possible, hoping that what the mind believes and projects, the body will adopt.

I don't know how long it will last. I'm sure, as always, there will be good days and bad days. For example, my kids are trying my patience today and I think my mood is affected by my friend who is in palliative care. But that's life. I can try my best to be positive, thankful and approach each day believing it's a gift.

Because it is - for each and every one of us. Don't waste it.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Never a moment wasted. I do not and cannot understand people who say they are bored, or there is nothing to do. My daughter used to tell here friends do not ever tell my mom your bored, she will find something for you to do.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete