Thursday, January 14, 2010

Love life

Recently, I ran into someone in the hall at work who asked me how I was doing. I hadn't seen this person since I've returned, so I knew she was asking about my battle with cancer. I'm not always sure how to answer that type of question.

If I say I've beaten it or it's gone (which is what most people want to hear and what I want to be able to say), I feel like I'm lying. I don't know for sure. My abdomen wasn't clear during my last CT scan. But I also don't want to get into the explanation about residual spots and the grey anomolies on my last CT scan. I don't want to talk about reoccurence statistics, etc. It goes against my goal to be positive and honestly, not many people really want to hear it.

So, I said, I was doing well and that I have more tests, but I will for the rest of my life. At that, she replied, "at least you can say for the rest of your life." That simple comment made in passing made me reflect and be thankful I am where I am. I do have my life, however long it may be. Right now I'm healthy and living a normal life.

I don't know what the future holds, but I'm positive I have many years of life still in me. I can't change what happens, but I will face whatever comes my way and fight again, if necessary.

I love my life, and if it includes regular tests to ensure the cancer is staying away, so be it.

Don't take your life for granted because it can change in the blink of an eye. Believe me, I know. It's a gift, make the most of it.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment