Friday, January 15, 2010

Join me!

Last May, a sea of yellow decended on Wonderland Gardens to run, walk and stroll to raise money for ovarian cancer research. I'd just been diagnosed with this deadly disease five weeks before the event, had undergone two chemotherapy treatments, was bald, anticipating surgery and in shock.

The overwhelming show of support by the yellow-t-shirt-sporting Team Tina lifted my spirits, made me cry and helped me realize I wasn't fighting alone. In fact, even writing this today makes me misty because I'm a fortunate woman. I have a whole village behind me. The sheer number of people who joined the team, in a short time frame, was amazing. Friends and family from the city and beyond, converged upon the park that day with noisy enthusiasm. As you can see from Janice Zolf's promo video for this year's run http://www.lhsf.ca/stories/video.asp?Vid=1 we made an impression.

Organizers say Team Tina provided a jolt of life to the run last year - and we're challenged to do it again. (And this year we have more time to prepare, train and fundraise!)

So, I'm asking you to join Team Tina for the 2010 Run for Ovarian Cancer on May 16. Let's bring our enthusisam and determination to beat this horrible cancer. You can join me during the 5 k run (or run and walk, as I plan to do) or do the 1 k fun run/walk. Last year, Team Tina ranged from serious runners, to avid walkers, to little kids (some in strollers), to those who enjoyed a little jaunt on a beautiful spring day.

Sign up or donate at:
http://runforovariancancer.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=331650

Every dollar raised supports the ovarian cancer research team here in London. These brilliant scientists are working on ways to detect this silent stalker earlier and treat the women who have it. I've toured the lab and was privy to some of the amazing theories they're working on.

I'm still scared and counting on ovarian cancer research to eradicate this awful disease from my body forever. Help me.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment