Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Growing older

What a drag it is getting old.
- Rolling Stones

Mick croons this line in the song Mother's Little Helper. I wholeheartedly disagree with him. As I write on my 43rd birthday, I have to admit, it's great getting old(er). It's far, far better than the alternative. Would I have written this same message a year ago? No! I used to lament what time was doing to my body. It's amazing how a vision of the grim reaper changed my perspective.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
- Author Unknown

While the afflictions of growing older - aches and pains, memory loss, incontinence, weight gain, wrinkles, etc. - may be annoying compared to the resilience, beauty and zest of youth, growing old is a gift. Additional years provide opportunities to live, love and laugh.

Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts.
- Martin Buxbaum

I say wrinkles, sminkles. It means I've laughed often and thought hard when contemplating life. The years may have weathered my skin, but only because I've been out in the world, living. And yes, my hair is really quite grey. While I sometimes admire the shiny strands of the uniform-coloured hair of some of my friends, I know I've earned every one of these grey hairs. I may still chose to colour it at one point, but for now, I'm content with my brown and silver strands.

Wrinkles and grey hair don't make a person less attractive. But, if the lessons of life are learned through earning them, hopefully one's external beauty is overshadowed by the internal radiance shining out from the inside.

So I thankfully celebrate getting older knowing I have a one-of-a-kind husband, awesome kids, a loving family and unbelievable friends. I celebrate another year hoping I have lots more birthdays in the future. And I invite you to . . .

Grow old with me! The best is yet to be.
- Robert Browning

Tina

2 comments:

  1. If the 'best is yet to come' I can hardly wait!!
    Knowing you forever, but being one of your close friends in the last two years has brought me great joy of having a friend like you... and yes, I even would have said that before you had cancer!! hahah...
    with you writing down the 'quotes of the day',,, add this one
    'do or do not, there is no try'
    - Yoda

    don't cha love it??

    Happy birthday Tina, I'm so happy you are around to celebrate number 43...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring on the birthdays! More reason to celebrate and celebrate and celebrate.

    Hope the deep-fried ice cream was the topper to a fantastic day!

    Happy birthday. Have fun in what's left of it!

    A

    ReplyDelete