Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Radioactive juice

The radioactive juice I had to drink for my CT scan yesterday didn't agree with my body. I felt the battle between the two begin about 10 minutes after I finished drinking the required 1.5 L of "enriched" water yesterday. My stomach and bowels started churning and I made frequent trips to the bathroom.

It's amazing how my body reacted differently during each of the three CT experiences. The first time I drank the CT juice, my bowels kicked up a fuss in the evening. The second time, no reaction whatsoever. This time, my whole body got into the act. My stomach experienced a constant dull pain, my bowels growled, my muscles ached, my eyes felt like they'd sunk into their sockets and my head pounded. I even experienced a metallic taste, which reminded me of my chemotherapy days.

I couldn't work, so I went home and slept.

I don't feel 100 per cent today. I still have a headache and some slight stomach pain, and I'm extremely tired. But I feel a lot better than yesterday, so I'm going to work.

I'm not sure these reactions are all due to the CT juice or if I have a touch of that virus that's circulating. I may also be physically reacting to the stress of my churning mind. But this too shall pass and so I carry on.

The CT itself went smoothly and the actual scan time was quick (especially after the MRI). They scanned me a few times with just the radioactive water as contrast. Then they inserted an additional dye via IV and took a few more pictures.

The IV constrast produces a disconcerting warm feeling that travels through the body. My ears start to burn, then I feel my torso get warm and then it feels as though I've peed my pants. It's over in a few seconds, but it's a bit disconcerting. (At least I was warned about the experience before my first CT or I truly would have believed I'd peed myself.)

Now I wait for the results, which I'll get one week from today. It's going to be a long week.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Positive thoughts, thats all that is allowed and enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes my stomach reacts to the drink but lately it's been ok.

    Wishing you all the best ...

    ReplyDelete