Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good riddance

As we count down the last hours and minutes of 2009, I reflect on all this year had to offer. While some enjoyed marriages, babies, new homes, promotions and good luck, I can only be thankful the year is drawing to a close. For me and my family, 2009 was the most difficult year.

When I discuss the suckiness of this year, I get nods of agreements from many around me. Two who are close to me lost a parent this year. Many had challenges at work that tested their skill and patience. Others had home disasters befall them. Marriages broke up, friends got sick, others lost jobs and that blasted N1H1 virus infiltrated many homes.

Don't get me wrong, 2009 wasn't all bad. Among the cancer diagnoses and surgeries (me and mom), chemotherapy treatment, money woes, van breakdowns and the myriad of other troubles, good things happened too. I grew closer to my family and friends, discovered amazing people in my life who've helped during my difficult times, learned more about myself, discovered what's really important in life, learned how to better help Noah with his bipolar diagnosis and went on a kick-ass vacation to celebrate the end of chemotherapy treatments. Best of all, I'm alive to usher in the new year.

The end of the 2009 brought two awesome events, which bode well for happier times in coming years. My sister-in-law got engaged on Christmas Day to a wonderful guy. They obviously make each other very happy and I'm thrilled for them. Woo hoo to an awesome wedding celebration in 2011. My cousin also got engaged at Christmas. Previously she was in a toxic relationship, so I'm happy she's found an awesome and supportive guy with whom to spend her life.

So I'm looking forward to 2010 and counting on its events to be better, happier and less challenging than those of the past year. But it's funny how much stock we, as a society, place in a new year. It's not as though simply replacing a calendar and flipping to January 2010 contains magical properties to change luck. But we've all been conditioned to believe a new year is a fresh start, a chance to make ourselves and our lives better (which is why many make resolutions).

I want to believe in that magic even more than ever. Our minds have powerful control over our bodies, so I need to draw on positive thoughts to create an awesome 2010.

I'm kicking if off right by enjoying a quiet evening at home with good friends, tasty food and several beverages. When that clock strikes midnight, I'll toast to a better 2010.

I hope you enjoy your new year's eve doing whatever makes you happy. I wish you and your families a healthy, happy, richer, balanced and enjoyable new year - and new decade.

Until next year,

Tina

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Tina!!! I love you so much and many kisses at midnight! Thank you for the positive plug in your blog. For me, 2009 was an amazing year in meeting and loving Jeffrey. The great news is... say goodbye to 2009; make 2010 an amazing year as well. Yes, your year sucked. But wait for next year.... possibilities are endless. Again, I'm thinking some sort of writing project... You are MY inspiration as well. You have one of those relationships and lives I used to think, why can't I have that? Keep going, Tina, you are amazing. And, if I must say, your hair is awesome/hot!!! You need to update your profile pic!
    Happy 2010! Goodbye 2009!
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    Well,once again, we all ate till our belly hurt, my spirit is lifted, and my back is killing me from sleeping on that futon!! haha.. I swear we are going to buy you (us) a new bed for the basement. As I said last night, I can't think of a better place that I would've rather rang in the new year than at your dining room table surrounded by you, Mike, Pete and myself (with the dogs and the kids sleeping and snoring). You both are incredible friends, Pete and I love you both very very much.
    We both look forward to spending many MANY more holiday seasons with you and your family. As my one album is named ,, 'life with the Bratschers', That's only the beginning of that scrapbook of memories.
    Happy New Year my girl, 2010 will rock, you'll see!!
    love you,,, di xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tina. Its 2020. Hope you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tina, hope you are doing great in life. You are strong woman, have faith!

    ReplyDelete