Monday, December 28, 2009

Celebrating 64

I'm tired, but happy. Luckily, I was able to balance the hectic festivities over the past few days with some quiet time (to blog, flip through a magazine, watch a movie). Neither Michael nor I got all worked up about things and it made for a very enjoyable Christmas. It was exactly what I needed.

Today, it's my mom's birthday and I'm thinking about her. She spent her birthday 43 years ago stuck in the hospital trying not to have me. She'd miscarried twice before due to blood incompatability, so my parents were hopeful I'd make it. Obviously, I did. But I was eager to come out and arrived as a tiny baby on Jan. 5 - six weeks early.

I'm recalling this story because I'm thinking about how lousy it would be to spend your 21st birthday in the hospital. (As if it isn't enough of a rip off to have your birthday so close to Christmas.) I hope her 64th, despite recovering from surgery and anticipating another one, is a celebration of life and love. She's been married to my dad for 46 years. Together they raised two daughters who are successfully making their way in the world. She's a great mom and a grandma to five grandchildren - and I hope she's around to celebrate many, many more birthdays (and go to Hawaii).

Happy birthday mom. I love you.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Wish your Mom a Happy Birthday for me Tina. Today is also my birthday, and it's not that bad having a birthday right after Christmas, but I do know that everyone usually is all celebrated out, so sometimes it is a rip off.
    Glad to hear that you had a good Christmas
    Love Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Im the lucky one then my Birthday is Dec 22, no year and my grandson Logans is Dec 19. I guess we start the celebrations.
    Great Christmas, had 21 crowed into my dinning room living room. I could not beleive that we were able to fit every one together.

    ReplyDelete