Monday, December 14, 2009

Almost a full week

The work hours increased steadily over the past few weeks. I started in mid-November at three hours a day for three days a week and increased hours/days as the weeks progressed. At first, I found myself tired at the end of each short day, but my stamina steadily increased as the weeks flew by.

This week I work six hours a day for the full week. Next week, I'm back to full time! Although I did book a vacation day for next week and we have Christmas holidays. Perfect timing.

Every once in a while, I hit a particularly bad day. It seems as though everything - work, exercise, being a mom, preparing for Christmas, socializing, etc. - catches up with me. On that day, I'm sore, tired and cranky. Yesterday was one of those days. Even though Michael and I did some early morning Christmas and grocery shopping, before the last item was stored in the cupboard, I was more than done.

I was hunched over from the back pain (damn weak abdominal muscles), a headache formed in my frontal lobe and my eyes burned with exhaustion. The kids wanted to go swimming but I couldn't find it in me to exert the energy. Michael took them, and I stayed home and wrapped Christmas presents. Yes, I know, that's not exactly resting but I think it helped me mentally because I was worried when I'd be able to do it. I still have more to do, but I feel better now that I've started.

I think the stress of my mom's surgery last week also contributed to my tiredness. But she's home now (discharged Saturday morning), doing amazingly well with her recovery and is in good spirits.

I have to admit, I'm annoyed with the doctors though. A urologist didn't visit her again during her stay and we're getting conflicting stories.

Dr. P. visited her on Friday night to clarify his earlier report on the operation. He said that while the lymph nodes around her heart looked clear, the ones in the kidney area looked suspicious. That's not what the urologist said during his visit Wednesday night. He said the bladder and lymph nodes were clear. Mom was told they did a bioposy of the tumour during the surgery, while her chart says a resection. To me, those mean two different things. Biopsy = small sample for testing purposes. Resection = removed as much of the tumour as possible.

As well, Mom was supposed to leave the hospital with an appointment to see Dr. C in four weeks. Nope. I'm encouraging her to start calling this morning (and to call every morning and afternoon until she has an appointment).

So, the news about the operation being the only treatment for the tumour in her ureter may be incorrect. She may also need chemotherapy or other treatment.

While I felt angry and disappointed about the news, mom had a great attitude. She said she'd rather go through chemo and make sure the cancer is all gone rather than take the chance some is left to grow throughout her body. So true.

So now we wait to hear the treatment plan from Dr. C.

In the meantime, we're past the surgery, mom is recovering well and I'm taking the opportunity to get into the Christmas spirit and enjoy the holidays. I'm thankful to be here to enjoy them this year. I'm thankful my mom is here too.

I've always taken the holidays for granted, assuming everyone would get together again next year and we could do it all over again. But that's a naive view. We never know when the situation will change and we'll lose someone we love. Celebrate the special people in your life over the holidays. Be thankful for them and the joy they bring. I know I will.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Well, despite the frustrations with your mom, you continue to keep up the good attitude and positive spirit of Christmas! Wishing your mom a very speedy and restful recovery.

    Good to hear you are going back to work full time! That is awesome. Take it easy...don't overdo it!!

    Lots of love, hugs and holiday cheer!!
    Rachna

    ReplyDelete