Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Series of unfortunate events

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
- Hee Haw

Over the past few days, I feel as though this lyric from the old TV show Hee Haw invaded the lives of the Bratscher family. I really should be more cheery given it's Christmas week, but a couple of financial setbacks knocked us on our butts. I will recover my optimistic attitude - once the shock wears off!

Incident one
Our house is about 20 years old. As a result, most of the systems, windows, etc. in it are the same age. A few weeks ago, Michael and I heard on the radio that most water heaters last 10 to 12 years before they spring a leak. The expert on the radio went on to say that when a hot water tank bursts, it not only empties the water it holds, but the pipe feeding it from the city continues to disperse water.

I had visions of returning from work, or worse, a vacation, to discover everything in my finished basement ruined. As a result, I called up Reliance, from whom we rent the tank. I mentioned the radio story I’d heard and tactfully explained that while we’d owned the house for the past 10 years, a technician had never stepped foot in the door to even examine the water heater.

So the representative suggested a simple remove and replace with a tank of the same size. No cost to us, no increase in rental payments. Sounded ideal and I promptly booked the appointment for this past Saturday. I thought I was proactively doing something to protect my family and felt good about that.

But apparently, the building codes change regularly and as soon as the plumbing technician saw the tank, he pointed out all the infractions. We discussed our options (which are few since we have a window in the utility room and it's accessed via a bathroom), and decided to go with the one that wouldn't require extensive renovations. But we do need a plug installed within six feet of the hot water tank in order to comply with current code. So we'll hire an electrician to put in a plug and get the new tank installed in early January. While this one will probably be more efficient and reduce our gas bill slightly, the rental cost is more than double what we now pay. Argh.

Incident two
Yesterday, Michael dropped me off at work (where I'm now full time again - yay!) and proceeded to drive up Richmond Street towards St. Joe's. He'd only travelled a short distance when the van abruptly quit. The engine was still running, but it wouldn't move forward or backwards. After 1-1/2 hours, CAA finally arrived to tow the van and Michael ran to his very, very busy workplace to play catch up for the time he missed while waiting with the broken van.

Prognosis - transmission. Worst case scenario - around $3,000. Just when we thought we'd catch up a little bit from when I was off, we get smacked back down into the pit of debt.

So last night we weighed our options - new transmission/rebuilt transmission? Replacement vehicle, new vehicle or keep the 2003 van? Bury our heads in the sand and wait for spring? Personally I kind of like the last one, but it isn't going to get me anywhere. And of course, I feel that awful pressure to make a quick decision.

The mechanic is going to call us today to let us know the damage and our options. When I talked to him this morning, he said except for the transmission, overall the van seems to be in good shape. And damn, cars are expensive (albeit they've come down in price significantly over the past year or so).

I need a magic genie to say, "poof, what do you need?" Or I could plead to Santa, "All I want for Christmas is a new transmission (or a new car). Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way.

Regardless, of what we do, the situation sucks. I want the bad luck to go away and good luck to take its place. And don't quote the old wives tale that bad things come in threes because I'm not sure I could handle something else right now. When it piles up like this, it's very overwhelming.

Change in attitude
I have to remember, I've had lots of good luck and plenty of good circumstances over the past seven months. In the end, it is only money. No one got hurt. The van didn't break down on the 401 at night or on our way to Florida. We still have a warm, comfortable place to live. We still have our health (knock on wood). It is only a thing that is damaged, not a person. It could be far, far worse.

I'll probably mope and worry about this for another day or so, and then let it go. I have the goodness and blessings of Christmas to enjoy. I'm not going to let these expensive incidents over things ruin the good times I have with people and the memories I create. In the end, it's not worth it.

Hopefully, your Christmas week be filled with good things, not unfortunate surprises.

Tina

5 comments:

  1. May I make a suggestion. If you have to replace the hot water tank and you own the house try a tankless system. Save 40 % on your gas bill and 30% energy on your electric bill. We did and our propane bill dropped drastically.
    Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, this is just what I needed to be reminded of today. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you are blessed, yes, it's a good thing it didn't happen on the 401 late at night, yes, it is only money,, but still, in the same breath... DAMN!!!! Stupid vehicles!! Stupid plugs!! I can relate sista!!! I can relate.
    Regardless, it's Christmas, time to be grateful and eat til your belly hurts... lets all get on with it.
    have fun with the family... see you in a week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I remember when the transmission literally fell out of my van -- right onto the road outside my house. Just as the rest of my life was falling apart. It was the perfect metaphor. But things have improved a thousand fold and more since then. Here's hoping the same holds true for you.

    Merry Christmas!
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. YIKES....how I can relate to this story....MAN OH MAN!!

    Sorry to hear about the van and the water heater. THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

    Yes...it's only money. And it will come and go. You have your health...your kids...and Michael. And thank the good Lord, you are alive.

    Sometimes life throws you lemons...hey, make lemonade. What else can we do, right?

    I remember my transmission gave out on me twice in my van in one year..once on a hill and my cell phone had no signal...baby crying in the back seat. UGH!!

    And of course...there was Alfredo's accident on Oct. 24th...then mine on Nov. 15th...both of us totalled our vehicles...lucky to be alive! So, you are lucky that yes, it didn't happen on the 401.

    Hang in there....2009 is almost behind us. It has been quite a year for a few of us...and a new year is upon us...with a new, fresh start.

    Stay positive...

    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete