Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas week

It's the last weekend before Christmas and I know many are scrambling to get those last presents bought and/or wrapped, attending Christmas celebrations or creating menus for the upcoming festivities. I too have my trusty list and am checking off the tasks as I accomplish them.

Yesterday, after Tara's soccer game, I started (and finished) my Christmas baking. After making six different types of cookies and three kinds of squares, my back and feet were sore, but I was happy. I actually love to bake - and cook - so yesterday's baking extravaganza gave me great satisfaction. I packed up a couple of big boxes and put them in the freezer so I can bring them to my parents (and they'll have baked goodies too).

Today is clean-the-house day. This chore I don't love. But I know that scrubbing the bathtub provides me with time to think and reflect, so that may be a good thing. I'll probably hum Christmas carols.

I'm trying to focus on all the good things in my life this holiday season. Despite my lists, I'm attempting to reduce the stress I impose on myself. My strategy is to go into each day with a feeling of thankfulness and fewer expectations.

In previous years, I've had ideas of how events should be and was sometimes disappointed. I'd forgotten that people or situations don't magically change just because it's Christmas. And quite honestly, sometimes I was unrealistic in my visions.

This year, I'm trying to go in with an feeling of openness and internal satisfaction. It's hard to be disappointed when you're happy with yourself and then just take everything that comes your way - good conversation, yummy food, a robust wine, a big hug, a special gift - as a bonus.

I hope it works. It all sounds good in theory, but I'll have to see if I can put it into practise. I know if I can focus on relaxing and enjoying, while letting all the little stressors go, I will enjoy all this Christmas season has to offer a lot more.

I do know I'm more thankful this year to be able to spend time with my family and friends to celebrate the holidays. Life is good.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment