Saturday, December 26, 2009

Poetic boxing day

I don't conform, don't put me there
Whether it forms a rectangle or a square
I am unique, I am just me
Accept me as I am, let me be

This day is for boxes
Yet, I don't fit
I'm not quite normal
But cancer's not where I sit

I span and balance, the great divide
My body can't choose just one side
Yet even if cancer stays away
I'll never return to before-diagnosis day

I choose to live
With peace and joy
Thankfulness reigns
My heart's a buoy

On boxing day, people pack away
The wrapping and packing of Christmas Day
Yet I opt to keep for the rest of the year
The love that accompanies the holiday cheer

The lesson was hard
A high price to pay
But it'd be for naught
If I ignorned the better way

While 2009 brought pain and tears
I hope 2010 is a blessed, lucky year
Take the time to reflect and rejoice
In the end, our attitude's a choice

In the coming year
I wish you wealth
Happiness and cheer
And most importantly, health


I hope you enjoyed my strange, but heartfelt, boxing day poem. While the big day is over and some people are winding down their holiday celebrations, I'm lucky enough to be able to partake in another Christmas festivity today.

As my poem says, I enjoy the feelings of Christmas giving and thankfulness that occurs during this tima of year. I am going to strive to keep those feelings top of mind because I think it's important to be thankful every day.

I don't know what 2010 is going to bring - but I sure hope it's better than 2009 (which sucked). I do feel stuck in the middle of normal and cancer, but that's okay. Most of the time, it's not a bad place to be. I'm thankful to be in remission and I hope I stay here.

I wish everyone only the best for this Christmas season and in the new year. We all deserve it.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment