Monday, August 10, 2009

Cell counts

I have chemo this Friday and although I want to enjoy these four days before treatment, my mind is already preparing. I pray my cell levels are high enough, especially my white blood cells, because I don't want to postpone the treatment for a couple of reasons.

1. I want to get my treatments over and done with so I can move on to recovery and getting back to a more normal life. And honestly, I want all the stupid side effects of chemo to be behind me.

2. My daughter's 8th birthday is the following Friday. If my treatment gets delayed by a week, I'll be in the cancer centre on her birthday. That would suck.

3. With an 8th birthday, comes a party. We're planning (right now it's only in our heads because of the uncertainty) for her friends to come over on the Saturday for a party. She's requested a pool party, but I've questioned its logic. So I've researched movie, bowling and other types of parties where someone else entertains and cleans up. Then we'll have a small family party with grandparents, aunts and uncles on the Sunday.

4. Michael requested vacation for Sept. 4 so he could be with me during my last chemo treatment. If my schedule gets screwed up, so will his vacation.

I'm anxious about my levels because my white blood cell count has been steadily dropping with each treatment, which is normal. But if it gets too low, I'll have to postpone. If my red blood cell count gets too low, I'll get a blood transfusion, like I did in the hospital.

Oh, the complications of the toxic chemotherapy chemicals. They also make my heart race much higher than normal. My homecare nurse assured me this is normal because my body realizes the chemo is a poison and is trying to get rid of it. I also learned when I had an ECG before surgery, chemotherapy can permanently damage my heart.

So there are lots of potential long-term side effects from the medicine used to fight the deadly cancer. Hopefully, my good health and age, will lessen their effects.

But I am thankful researchers have come a long way from early cancer treatment. I know I have it far better than many before me. And I know those in my kids' generation will have it far better than today. We can only hope cancer will be irradicated by the time they grow up.

Here's praying for an end to cancer - and (a little more immediate) for my blood cell counts to be high enough for treatment on Friday.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. I continue to keep you in my prayers, my friend.... Lots of love....and remember....think positively...

    Love you
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina I'm pulling for you ... get those white blood cells up and cancer down and out.

    ReplyDelete