Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Goodbye yesterday

Your eyes didn't deceive you and nothing was wrong with your computer. I didn't blog yesterday. I didn't feel I had anything new or interesting to say. But a couple of people questioned me in incredulous voices, "you didn't blog today?" In response to my "no," I got stunned silence.

So I'm back writing today.

I didn't feel quite right yesterday. As the day wore on, the feeling of general yuckiness (yes, that's the medical term) intensified. I didn't sleep well the night before.

First, I didn't fall asleep quickly when I went to bed. Then the 2:30 a.m. torrential rain had me scrambling to close the affected windows. When the rain let up, Michael and I reopened the windows to try to catch a breeze. Then we repeated the closing and opening process when the rain returned.

Our air conditioning is on the fritz. It worked for a short while on Monday so I was able to enjoy the blessed coolness. But I think it froze up and conked out Monday night. So we've been making due with whatever breeze we can catch from the windows and lots of fans.

While Michael went back to sleep after our window exercise, I laid awake until about 4:30 a.m. I contemplated just getting up and writing off the night. I'm glad I didn't because I eventually fell asleep again. But I was tired yesterday and my stomach was upset. I may still be fighting a cold.

The humidity and the rain (and the need to open and close the windows) probably contributed to my poor sleep - and grumpy mood yesterday.

I'm angry because this isn't how the last few days of good health before chemo are supposed to be. I'm supposed to be able to enjoy them so my willpower is strong for the six hour infusion and the dreaded week after.

To top it off, Michael injured himself at work yesterday. He sustained a gash across his shin, bled all over the loading dock and then spent three hours in urgent care at St. Joe's (good thing he works there). He required five stitches! Then, because the department is short staffed due to vacations, no one could fill in for him and the work piled up. He stayed late last night. Poor guy couldn't even go home when he hurt himself.

I hope today is an all-round better day. I got a good sleep last night (but weird dreams) so I think I feel okay. I will do something with my kids so they don't spend the whole day with electronics, which drives me crazy. But I often don't have the energy to fight with them about it. Michael is going to have an uneventful day at work. And I have a dinner guest coming tonight and I'm sure I'll enjoy her company - and perhaps a few glasses of wine.

So all in all, I'm planning on it being a better day. I have to repeat my mantra to myself - one day at a time - and live by it. Yesterday is done and I have to make the most of today.

It's all any of us can do.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. "Yesterday is history....tomorrow is a mystery....today is a gift, that is why they call it the present..."

    - Chinese Proverb

    I think that sums it up. We all have good and bad days...and then "blah" days....

    Don't beat yourself up....give yourself a break. We all know you are okay.

    Love you....HUGS ACROSS THE MILES....

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have our frump days. I do not comment everyday, but I do keep up with you. First Bloomberg, then the bank and of course you. All in that order. Sometimes I have to wait untill you write something as I check it out about 6:am every day and later untill I see it.
    Yesterday must be catchy as I could not get myself up and running either. Better days ahead. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina. I haven't been on the computer much lately so I was just getting caught up on your blog. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having so much trouble sleeping, sounds like the sleeping pills help. My mom used to keep a journal and wrigtht about how she was feeling every day, which helped her to know what medications were helping her. She often diagnosed herself to the doctor to determine what medications she should be on and how much. Keeping track of how you are feeling, your emotions and being in contact with everyone is great! About your dreams... I had one on Sunday night (well, more so Monday morning before I got up) ... the rain must have been on my mind... the water was gushing out of my bedroom walls and all over the floor, what a mess! Thank God it was only a dream. Hang in there Tina and good luck on Friday. I hope that your white cells are in check and that you are feeling better by next Friday for your daughter's Birthday party. Talk to you soon Tina.

    ReplyDelete