Saturday, August 29, 2009

First sleepover

I am so tired today. My 8-year-old daughter experienced her very first friend sleepover last night. They talked and giggled until until the wee hours. In fact, I walked in on a countdown for 1:01 a.m. because they could make a wish at that time (the wonderful imagination of little girls).

But Tara's room is right beside ours. I heard all the giggling, talking, moving around and general noise. I fell asleep briefly around 10:30 p.m., but then woke and laid awake listening to the muffled shenanigans. I visited the room several times with requests they go to sleep. Finally, I told Tara this would be her last sleepover unless they actually slept. That seemed to do the trick.

The numerous visits to her room and the late hour when I finally fell asleep are manifesting themselves today. I'm tired. I've been tired all week and the lack of good sleep last night was the icing on the cake. I'm going to try to keep most of the grumpiness in check but I have a feeling some may slither out at inopportune times today.

Tara's sleepover brought back good memories for me though. I remember countless sleepovers with my friend, Val or my cousins, Margie and Monica. We'd talk, run around, play, cook ourselves breakfast and giggle. It was great fun sharing nights with them.

So I can't bregrudge Tara this magical childhood experience, but last night, I did wish their tiredness kicked in a couple of hours earlier.

I know my cancer journey makes me more tired and the interrupted sleep contributes to the exhaustion. But then again, maybe I'm just getting old. I have a feeling it'll be an early-to-bed night for a couple of people in our household tonight.

Your old and tired friend,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. I am giggling right now because, yes, we all remember the 'hell' we put parents through as we all had our sleep overs..
    also, you can tell you're tired... look at the time of your post... had a hard time getting into the groove??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh sweet memories. Allison and I used to stay up ALL night playing pacman, so you should really be grateful :) The computer was far away from the bedrooms though and everyone else could enjoy sweet dreams...Maybe you need to have sleepovers in the camper or a tent. They are going to stay up no matter how much you tell them to go to sleep so you might as well get some shut eye.

    ReplyDelete