Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Time

Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin

Old Ben was a smart man (even if he erroneously ended that sentence in a preposition - argh!). Life is made up of seconds, minutes, hours, days, months and years, and it's up to each of us to make the time allotted important and meaningful.

That doesn't mean every day has to be filled with serious, important or life-changing activities. Life isn't like that or we'd all be exhausted. Some days will bring tedious work, ugly weather, disagreements, sickness, sadness or frustration (but hopefully not all on the same day).

The essence of this quote, and what I've learned from cancer, is beauty and good exists in every day. I have to discover it and choose to make each day matter to me.

It can be as simple as hugging my family, enjoying coffee with a friend, relishing a job well done, sharing a laugh, relaxing in front of the TV, savouring the ripe fruit in a pie, appreciating the smell of Downy while doing laundry, crawling into crisp, clean sheets or watching the colour of the sky as it fades during twilight.

I look for joy every day. I try to shake off frustration and anger. I'm getting better at choosing activities I want to do as opposed to the ones I should do. I attempt to look for good in situations, instead of harping about what's wrong with them.

It's not always easy, but it brings me more happiness.

It's far more rewarding to experience contentment during that time we call life. Find something that makes you joyful today and make the time count.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for continuously reminding all of us...what is important in life.

    I hope you enjoy this quote below as much as I did.

    Rachna



    "Love all that has been creatd by God, both the whole and every grain of sand. Love every leaf and every ray of light. Love the beasts and the bids, love the plants, love every separate fragment. If you love each separate fragment, you will understand the mystery of the whole resting in God." - Fydor Dostoevsky

    ReplyDelete