Sunday, August 16, 2009

The well, the party and the skunk

Yesterday started pretty well with me enjoying my coffee, newspaper and anti-nausea medication. The family hit some garage sales and stores, and had a bite to eat at Swiss Chalet while I was still feeling up to it. But by the afternoon I could feel myself starting to experience the post-chemo symptoms.

I compare it to sinking into a well. I decend into this narrow, dark space where I'm alone and semi-oblivious to everything and everyone around me. Luckily, I only swung my feet over the edge yesterday afternoon. It started with excessive emotions - think of it as really bad PMS.

First, I got easily irritated, especially by lots of noise, arguments and idol chit chat. Then the pendumlum swung to over-emotional crying jags for no particular reason. Oh yeah, I'm a site to behold. But after I experienced one of the crying episodes while drinking coffee at Williams' Coffee Pub yesterday, I told Michael it wasn't anything some sunglasses and lip gloss couldn't fix. He laughed.

Luckily, I attended Linda's birthday party in her lovely backyard yesterday evening with its opportunity to visit with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. That social activity slowed my well-sinking progress because I enjoyed myself and as a result, lasted far longer than I expected. But by 10:30 it was time to go, with my stomach starting to protest and my equilibrium a little off balance.

Yet the excitement for the night wasn't yet over. When we let our dog, Ginger, out to go pee, she discovered a skunk under our neighbour's trailer. Now luckily, she didn't get close enough for a full spray, but her curious nose got a squirt of the noxious skunk fumes. So at 11 p.m. last night, you'd have found Michael and I in our backyard pouring a concoction of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide on our dog's face and body, hosing her down and then drying her off. The smell of wet dog wasn't pleasant, but it certainly beat skunk dog.

By the time I went to bed, I was tired, but unable to fall asleep. My churning belly and every-half-hour hot flashes kept me from falling asleep and prevented my from returning to dreamland after I went to the bathroom at 4:30 a.m. So it's been an early start to the day. I have a feeling a nap may be just the ticket later today.

Luckily, I can still enjoy my coffee this morning because I only have a slight strange taste in my mouth. So it's a good day so far (of course, that's a little hard to judge at 6 a.m.).

Finding little things to celebrate and the occasional distraction may help me get through this fifth round of post-chemo symptoms. I'll do my best with the energy I have.

Hope you enjoy this hot and sunny Sunday.

Love
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Pepe la Pew visited Ginger!! EWWWWW!!! I can't imagine that smell even not going through Chemo. You are one brave chick, baby!! ONE BRAVE CHICK!!

    Love you....REST UP!!!

    ReplyDelete