Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm baaaack

Coffee tastes good again.
I notice the mutli-hued colours in the sky.
I have more patience with my wonderful family.
I care what's for dinner.
I'm a better conversationalist.
I plan and think about the future.

I know it's dumb, but I know I'm getting over the post-chemo symptoms when I start to care about what my house looks like. I notice the crumbs stuck to the bottom of the kitchen sink and around the toaster. I cringe at the toothpaste congealed in the bathroom sink. The dust on the furniture mocks me with its pervasive presence. And I feel the need to clean.

Don't worry, I don't do much. I wipe up the crumbs and do a quick rinse of the sinks. Just enough that my house isn't completely embarassing if someone were to drop by. Luckily, my housekeeper comes today and she'll make everything shiny and clean again (and that mocking dust will be history).

The house awareness is simply a sign that I'm participating in life again. I'm happy to be back. I appreciate all life's little intricate blessings more these first few days. I actually wish I could capture this feeling of gratitude and relief to pull out on mundane or frustrating days. It certainly is a lesson in how wonderful normal life can be.

You never know how good you've got it, until it's gone - even temporarily.

So, I'm thankful for:

1. My family and friends, who didn't let me flounder yet again.
2. My doctors and health care professionals working to eradicate the cancer in my body.
3. The ability to see, touch, taste, feel and smell the world around me. It truly is a wonderful place.
4. The experiences I've had and the ones to come.
5. That I only have ONE more chemotherapy treatment left.

Enjoy your today.
Tina

2 comments: