Friday, August 28, 2009

Discrimination and statistics

I was shocked and appalled. As I was doing my research for yesterday's blog, I came across a information about individuals experiencing discrimination from their employers and insurance companies for testing positive for the BRCA genes.

Call me naive, but I'd never even imagined that could happen. I know as one who experienced cancer, I don't qualify for some insurances, etc. But I didn't imagine an employer would try to get rid of an employee (for so-called other reasons) for something beyond an individual's control - and who could live and be a productive worker for a long, long time.

Luckily, I work for a pretty amazing company with unbelievably supportive people who have stood behind me every step of the way.

I was also reading some survivor statistics yesterday too - and you know how I detest statistics. They always seem to be so bad. (Yes, I know these poor survivor statistics seem to support the reason for the discrimination mentioned above. Yet, no one has any guarantees in life and to turf an employee because they could get sick and leave seems inhumane to me.)

The survivor statistics did reinforce I have to live for today. I can't get stuck in the rut of life and not enjoy it, waiting for tomorrow. None of us know when our time to go will come. No one knows how many tomorrows we actually have to live, laugh and love.

I plan to go into remission and then stay cancer free for years, but I'm not promised x number of days. Like anyone else, I could get run over by a bus while crossing the street. I don't want to say, "Oh, I wish I had . . ."

Live without boundaries, love without regret.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. hi Tina. I found you via a post you made on "once upon a time"
    I'm also a OC girl and have no intensions on the awful disease coming back.. I finished treatment 2 years ago and see my oncologist every 6 months now, the next been in October.
    Hope alls well with you. stay strong xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dance like no ones watching, sing like you're a star and eat till your belly hurts!! We will all have a long life of special memories with you...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete