Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mental

"Our life is the creation of our mind." Buddha

If cancer can be beaten only by attitude, I've already won the fight. In my mind, I'm already cancer free and I'm only going through the remaining chemo treatments to be sure.

This unexplained shift in attitude happened over the past week - and I only recognized it yesterday. A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about my reluctance to celebrate the good prognosis along with everyone else, and expressed fear about my own mortality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very afraid the cancer will come back. Even though I don't have ovaries, the cancer could make its home in one of my other abdominal organs, lymph nodes or even my lungs. It takes five years of being cancer free before a person is considered cured, with the same risks of contracting it as the general population.

But for now, I feel very optimistic about beating ovarian cancer. If thoughts can truly create reality and I can create my future, I've already won.

My mind is starting to accept I can plan life in the future - beyond the treatment. I still think "if and when" when making plans, but now the uncertain time is further in the future than this fall or even next year.

That's how I feel today. But as I've learned during this journey, my emotions go up and down like a yo yo. Maybe I feel so optimistic and strong because I'm in the feel good segment of my chemo treatment. But then again, maybe I've just made up my mind that I've beaten this dreadful disease.

As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing."

If my mind gets its way, I'll be here for many, many more years to come.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your positivity today....I needed a kick in my butt and a dosage of that!! Through all the trials and tribulations that life throws at you, attitude can make or break the situation. You have the right attitude!!

    Love you!!

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. one other thing too,,,, remember you've been thrown into instant menopause with the removal of your ovaries,,, not only is your chemo wreaking havoc on you, but menopause has A LOT to do with the swing of emotions... and THAT my dear will go on for years!!! hahahah

    ReplyDelete