Thursday, September 3, 2009

Inspirations

The adventure of life is to learn.
The purpose of life is to grow.
The nature of life is to change.
The challenge of life is to overcome.
The essence of life is to care.
The opportunity of life is to serve.
The secret to life is to dare.
The spice of life is to befriend.
The beauty of life is to give.

My friend, Lisa has these beautiful inspirations by William Arthur Ward posted by her desk as a reminder to do, see and be more. When she shared them with me a couple of weeks ago, I immediately honed in on the challenge of life is to overcome. That's my focus right now. I need to beat this damn cancer to move on.

My LAST chemotherapy treatment is tomorrow. I'll get my blood drawn at 8:30, see Dr. P. at 9 and then start my chemo around 10:30. I'm scared, excited, nervous and relieved.

As of this morning, I'm mentally preparing for tomorrow and next week, which I know will be terrible. But once I'm through that, I can start, and continue, to feel better. Unfortunately, my worst day for side effects will be the first day of school.

It's tradition that Michael and I walk our kids to school, see the new teachers, give the kids a hug and kiss (if they let us) and wave them off to their first day of the new school year. I know I'll find the strength somewhere to keep up this ritual, but Michael may find me in bed the rest of the day.

Tomorrow, I plan to wear my Team Tina t-shirt and my cancer sucks socks to chemo as a badge of honour that my village has been behind me every step of the way and continues to support me during my last round of chemo. Thank you! You guys have captured the essence of life is to care and the beauty of life is to give.

Although I latched on the inspiration about overcoming challenges, if I really consider them, I notice many can apply to my journey with cancer. I know I've learned, grown and changed in many ways. I think mostly for the better. I've also connected with more friends (I'm a lucky woman).

I've captured the dare inspiration because I'm daring to fight and beat this horrible disease.

While I feel I haven't done my best on the care, serve and give inspirations, I know I'll have many opportunities in the future. I've made comments about how I'll never be able to repay the kindness and generosity people have shown me over the past five months and I've been encouraged to pay it forward. No on who gives expects to be repaid, they just want to help. For that I'm grateful. What I can do is know how important support is during a struggle and help someone else who faces difficult challenges in the future.

We all have opportunities in life to learn, reach out, love, befriend, change, grow, care, overcome, share and dare. These inspirations encourage us to be more. Don't get mired in the muck of every day and forget to reach for the stars. We all have the ability.

Tina

6 comments:

  1. Sorry I can't be with you tomorrow to sit with you during chemo, eat lots of junk (my favourite part) and watch a movie. I am going to wear my Team Tina shirt to work too (against dress code!) and encourage anyone who can to put it on to support you during your last round. You have been an inspiration to us all and your courage and strength allow us all to learn from you and live our lives more fully each day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    Congratulations on your final chemo! Celebrate it and say a warm goodbye to all of those who have helped you over the past rounds. I look forward to seeing you cancer-free at Thanksgiving, having overcome one of your life's biggest challenges. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in this blog. You are already paying forward by inspiring so many people with your courage, wisdom and honesty. Love you!
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina -- thinking of you today. Last one, eh? That's amazing! You're so strong and while you talk about what your village has given you, you have given us so much of yourself through this blog. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck tomorrow Tina. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings, both good and bad. You are on the final lap. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sweety!! Good luck tomorrow. I will be sending you all the prayers. Your last chemo!! YEAH!!! I am so proud of you!

    Lots of love to you....and hugs across the miles....

    Rachna

    ReplyDelete
  6. hip horray, celebrate and appreciae every day that is given to you. You know that they are precious. Try not to get mired in the everyday life. I am grateful to realize that another of our family members have kicked cancer in the butt. Pretty soon it will be you saying its been 20 years.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete