Saturday, September 12, 2009

The peak

You know that feeling when you've cycled to the top of a really steep hill, you're at the peak and anticipating the thrill of coasting down? You're panting from exertion and sweat trickles down your back, but you've made it. That's how I feel this morning.

Obviously, I feel better. The swelling has subsided and it doesn't hurt to walk. I'm not 100 per cent, but I'm significantly better than yesterday. I didn't immediately seek out the sweet, red Tylenol this morning.

I think the neuropathy peaked yesterday around supper when my lips, the area under my nose and inside my mouth also went slightly numb. The whole experience was very disconcerting. But hopefully it's over, for good.

I would now love to coast down my hill, feel the breeze whip my hair and experience the giddy exhileration of speed. But my descent trip has a bit of gravel to negotiate. My mom called yesterday with a health scare of her own. She needs to see more doctors and have more tests, but I'm worried (Love you, Mom). But all we can do right now is wait and pray.

I'm thrilled for me, but it's dampered by fear for my mom. So I pull out the old mantra, one day at a time. We can't change the past, but only move forward one day at a time with the cards we've been dealt today. Here's hoping for a royal flush.

Tina

1 comment: