Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A purpose and the pit

It's the first day of school. My kids are not happy, especially Noah. His negative attitude is rubbing off on Tara, who in grade 3 should be very excited about returning to school. But short of telling them to have a good attitude, packing a yummy lunch and wishing them well, there's nothing I can do.

Helping them get ready for school has given me a purpose and I think that's kept me out of the pit of depression for a little while this morning. After taking an extra strength Tylenol, I made lunches, whipped up pancakes for breakfast, helped them select their clothes and attempted an attitude readjustment. A pretty tall order four days posts chemo.

Michael and I will walk them to school, as we do every year, and make sure they're settled. Then I will have the day to recover before my kids come bounding (a little optimistic perhaps) to tell me about their first day.

In the past, this day has been the worst for post-chemo symptoms. The bone pain and the nauseous hot flashes that started last night will intensify. Food is not appealing to me right now (not even those beautiful pancakes I made for breakfast) so I'm sipping my tea. There's nothing I can do but wait it out.

Time is the healer and I have to be patient.

Tina

4 comments:

  1. You got it girl. Time is the healer. And isn't patience, such a test? It tests our resilience, perserverance, and commitment to everything and everyone in life!

    Hang in there...REST....

    Let Go, and Let God!!

    Enjoy a quiet day with the kids off to school!

    Love you
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - You are 4 days post chemo, and you got up, were postitive with your kids, got them dressed, made them breakfast AND walked them to school?!?!!?

    God has given you some serious grace. OR - secretly you're Wonder Woman setting an example for all that come after you. Both are acceptable for the reasons you're so amazing.

    LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, you've just won my vote as super-mom of the decade. I can't believe you managed all that today. And I was glad to hear the day went well for Noah. Here's wishing you a quiet day tomorrow to recover!

    BTW, did I mention that I've had a Jacob Moon song "Ring Them Bells" running through my head for the past few days? Remind me to play it for you the next time I see you.

    Love,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that the nausea backs off soon Tina. You're on the home stretch and we can hardly wait to see you back at work!

    ReplyDelete