Friday, November 20, 2009

Cancer in the backseat

I may be in denial but I have stopped thinking about cancer almost all the time. Perhaps it's because I'm back at work and have a job to do and other people with whom to have conversations (about topics other than cancer).

I can almost go a full day without dwelling on what is happening inside my body and how/if it's going to affect me. Sure, I have fleeting thoughts about what will happen if the CT scan in January shows its return. I look at my hair in the mirror, think about how much I like it and then automatically lament that it'll go if I have to undergo chemotherapy again.

I start with a personal trainer today to get my sorry body back in shape. Then I think about what a reoccurence would mean to my fitness plan.

I'm back at work, contributing and earning a salary, but then sometimes worry about what would happen if I have to go off on disability again.

I still have some ideas to process in my mind, which will require some serious thought. I also have an assignment from my social worker that will show up in this blog over the next few days. However, it's nice to take a break from my health and my worries. Most of the time I'm not even dwelling on pains or twinges in my abdomen. I acknowledge them and move on.

I know my thoughts, feelings and fears about cancer are still in my mind, but they've taken a backseat to everyday life. I think that's because I'm not actively fighting right now and there's nothing I can physically do to change whether it returns or not.

And maybe I truly have placed my health in God's hands and trust in His plan. I'll act when it's necessary.

To me, it's a big step forward. It allows me to have a more normal life - for as long as possible. Enjoy it with me.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. I will enjoy this with you over a nice glass (or 5) of red wine this weekend!!! I'm happy that Ginger is feeling better so you are able to spend the weekend.. hurray for me,, and here's to you.. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You´r right, Tina. Id does not help you further to think all the time about "cancer". I think also that work is a good deflection. There is anyway nothing to do as sit and wait till January (except to drink a glass of red wine once in a while ;-)).
    And we hope for you, that Cancer will stay at the backseat beyond January, February, March .....till Year 2050

    ReplyDelete