Sunday, November 1, 2009

BRCA support group

I almost didn't go. After the shocking news on Tuesday, I didn't feel emotionally prepared to go to the BRCA support group that evening. I felt too raw, too emotional, too exposed. I even said to Michael, "What can they say that can help me at this point in my journey?"

"Go," he said. "At least you'll know what it's like and see if it can help you. You have to go at least once."

He was right. I met a small group of BRCA-positive women - those who have been diagnosed as having the hereditary BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 mutation in their genes that predisposes them to contracting breast and ovarian cancer.

Some have fought cancer, others are having surgeries to stave it off. One of these women, Karen, was featured in The London Free Press a few weekends ago. This awesome story talked about a mom and her two daughters who tested positive for the BRCA-2 gene and their subsequent decisions.

www.lfpress.com/news/columnists/kate_dubinski/2009/10/17/11431711-sun.html

At the meeting, Karen talked about her double mastectomy and explained the tram flap procedure she chose. She talked about the operation and recovery, and even showed us her scars and her new flat belly. Brave woman!

Actually, anyone with the gene is a brave woman because it's not a question of if you'll get cancer but when. We have to make tough decisions to prevent it from taking hold, and if it's too late, be brave and fight it when it's discovered.

Two genetic counsellors also attended the meeting. I think their role is to be supportive, provide information and reinforce facts about the BRCA genes. Apparently Dr. A used to attend the meetings when the group started about 10 years ago.

I have to admit, when I was asked for my story, I rambled. I'm good at explaining the whole diagnosis, fight, chemo portions, but when I had to talk about the too-fresh results of the CT scan, I wasn't very eloquent because I was still processing the news.

But no one judged. Everyone was supportive and accepting. One woman complimented me on my smile. Who doesn't need that kind of group of people in their lives?

Despite feeling a bit aloof and alone, I was accepted for who I am and where I am in the journey. I left feeling less alone, knowing there are others who understand what it's like to be BRCA positive. We're a select group with a mutation none of us asked for, but we're dealing with it. I have a feeling I'll be able to learn from some of these women, to make my BRCA journey a little easier.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment