Monday, November 2, 2009

Hairs of my chinny chin chin

Life is just not fair. I am using every ounce of willpower to urge the hair on my head to grow, only to discover the ones that grace my chin are back with a vengeance. They didn't seem to have any trouble sprouting after the chemo left my body.

In fact, on the places I'd prefer not to have hair - underarms, chin, legs - I see regrowth. And it's growing to the point where I have to do something about it. Yet, the hair on my head, continues at its seemly slow pace.

Michael kindly tells me it's growing quickly and that people would shell out good money for the "highlights" I have in my hair. I think he's just trying to make me feel good about the astonishing amount of grey (silver, platinum) I have on my head. Men tend to look distinguished with grey temples. I'm not sure that's what others say about my look, but oh well. There's nothing I can do about it right now and I like having hair, regardless of its colour.

I'm getting more comfortable with taking my hat off in public, although I still get double takes and astonished stares. Most of the time I ignore people so they can quickly look and adjust to the semi-bald woman. I know that if I were in their shoes, I'd probably do the same thing.

But, last week at the hospital with my mom, an older lady in the waiting room continued to stare at me until I looked her square in the eye. After a beat, she quickly looked away, embarassed to be caught openly staring.

So now my delimma now is what do I do when I return to work - bald, scarf or hat? Hmmmm.

Tina

4 comments:

  1. Tina,
    Wear a scarf if it goes with your outfit or go bald if it is hot. You are beautiful, and just happen to have really short, silvery hair! Your hair has nothing to do with your abilities to do your job well! Let people stare if they must; people stare at beautiful women all the time!
    Have an awesome day, scarf, hat or not!
    Love, Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it is supposed to snow tonight,,, initially I was going for bald, however, you may want to pull out a wool toque... remember to shake off all lint off the hair once you remove it though... a little embarrasing to walk around with a 'linty' head. (and no, they won't tell you!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bald!!!! I'd totally rub it for good luck if I was still there. So... maybe it's a good thing I'm not still there... LOL

    I think you should do it all. Keep 'em guessing every day! Whoop whoop!

    I'm pumped for your triumphant return to the LL!!!

    Love + Support!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. wholesale wigs

    ReplyDelete