Saturday, October 3, 2009

Paradise, but not perfect

The setting is idyllic with the turquoise water, swaying palm and banana trees, soft white sand and warm breezes. Yet all is not perfect in paradise.

Of course, no one could expect perfection anywhere. It's often too humid here, we had a giant tropical rainstorm on Thursday night, the food is different, etc. But as they say, you don't go to Cuba for the food.

While the local people working at the resort are wonderful and we've met some new friends (mostly British and French Canadian), I am appalled at the number of smokers. About 80 to 90 percent of the guests here smoke. Are all inclusive resorts magnets for smokers or do non-smokers feel the urge to light up when on an all inclusive holiday. It's a mystery to me. They light up between courses at meals, on the beach, in the lobby, at the outdoor bars, etc. Since it makes me feel very sick with an almost instant headache and rolling stomach to follow, and because it triggers Michael's asthma, we often have to vacate public places when we're not down wind of the smoke.

Heath wise, all is not perfect either. But since I'm recovering from my fight with cancer and still have remaining traces of a cold, it's to be expected. I'm noticing some lingering side effects rearing their ugly heads. I'm sill numb on that patch on the top of my right hand. Obviously, it didn't want to be alone so it convinced my moustache area (the bit of skin between my top lip and my nose) to join the numbness party.

I still get extremely tired, so there's no late night partying planned for this trip (good thing that's really not our style). Because of the humidity, my hot flashes sometimes turn into rivers of sweat cascading down the fuzz growing on my head. We were enjoying an after-dinner drink in the lobby last night when a bad hot flash hit. I had to run to our room to use a cool wash cloth. By the time I arrived, five or six streams of sweat ran down my face and my nose was running. It was disgusting.

The humidity - or the steroid residue - puffs up my feet and ankles like a blow fish. It's not really a hinderance, just annoying when I want to wear a particular pair of shoes to dinner. And I got disgusted with myself when my lack of upper arm strength prevented me from pulling myself out of the pool (for the first time in my life). To top it off, sometimes my stomach can't tolerate the all-you-can-drink portion of the resort. While I'm enjoying my share of drinks, I've only been slightly tipsy once. Perhaps that's because they're spread out over the hours in the day. Perhaps I'll try to remedy that tonight and have a really good drinking night to celebrate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just observing. We knew this was going to be a different vacation. One where we take it easier, set the pace a bit slower and chill.

Michael and I always travel to any new destination with a sense of adventure and we have the attitude, "hey, I'm on holiday" so we'll eat when we're hungry, drink when we're dry, sleep when we're tired, swim when we're hot. Besides, who can complain when we can go horseback riding every day. Although my horse seems to have one speed - slow.

Sorry this post is so slow but we ran out of Internet minutes in the middle, then we had to go riding and now I have to go because Michael is waiting for me at the beach. Aaaah, that's the life.

Love from Cuba,
Tina

3 comments:

  1. Well....the only thing in life that is contant is CHANGE...and despite the humidity, hot flashes, smoking, and lack of muscle tone (which will come back in time)....and the SLOW horse....there is the best thing of all...
    YOU AND MICHAEL...together....alone....for a week.

    And its sunny!!

    Enjoy the time you have left there in Cuba...on another Bratscher adventure!!

    Love you!!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, now on the 'positive' side of everything,,,(since I'm known to be such a NEGATIVE person!!)
    -the food may not be the same,,, but at least you're not cooking it!! (or doing dishes for that matter)
    -smokers,,, I now can understand both sides of the coin on this one...(oh what I'd give for a good Cuban cigar!!!)
    -numbness,,, at least you can't feel your moustache hairs gently moving whenever an ocean breeze hits it...(see,, i'm getting better at being positive)
    -hot flashes,,,HA HA HA HA!!! WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF MENOPAUSE!!! HA HA HA HA... Remember how you guys would laugh at me last winter while playing Sequence??? (ahem... negativity,,, sorry,, back to being positive now)
    -puffiness,,, cankles as we like to call them,, sorry, don't have a remedy for this one, except, drink more liquids,, you know, Mojitos, Orange Daquaris (sp?),, it'll get to the point that you won't care cause you won't be able to feel your feet / ankles anyways... woopee!!
    -horse,,, have you SEEN how skinny those poor creatures are?? Horses aren't meant to be that skinny. Maybe they just can't gain weight down there because it's so hot and they sweat out all the extra fat... hmmmm,, probably not. Hence,, slow,, give him some sugar tomorrow.
    Regardless of the ups and downs of Cuba, celebrate the time your having being MRS THOMAS BRATSCHER... (as you said before, not mom, not Tina with cancer, not Tina Bratscher at the hospital, not Gingers playmate) but Tina, Mikeys' wife, Tina the writer, Tina the friend, Tina... just plain Tina...(not that you're plain in anyway my friend)
    Have fun,,, you've picked a great week to be gone, it's already snowed in Northern Ont,,,as in MITCHELL.. enjoy the sun and the warmth!!
    Love always, your jealous friend...
    xoxox
    ps, Ginger has found next door neighbour Jerrys' compost pile.... remember your last words,,, don't feed her any HUMAN FOOD???? ha ha ha ha... we'll discuss the payment plan of the new flooring when you get home!!! hahahah.. love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok,,, I'm getting withdrawals... thank god they're coming home today...

    ReplyDelete