Saturday, October 10, 2009

Precious platinum

If platinum is so valuable, why don't I feel like the luckiest woman in the world?

Platinum, with its silvery-white appearance, is strong and therefore ideal for jewelry, but as a hair colour it leaves a lot to be desired.

Yup, a good portion of my new, fuzzy hair is platinum. The good news is, my hair is growing back, albeit at a much slower pace than I'd like. The bad news is the shade.

I discovered my first grey hair around age 18. Since I haven't seen my true hair colour for about 10 years, I knew the grey's infestation would have spread. But even I didn't expect the extent of the silvery strands' spread.

I think the hair on top is light brown. But it depends on the light because sometimes it looks white. It's hard to tell because my hair length is 1 cm (maximum) in any given spot. And I swear there are fewer follicles, but no more seem to be making an appearance so perhaps it's just that longer hair covers more of the scalp.

At this point though, I'd be happy with any hair that covers my scalp. I'm tired of being bald. I've tolerated it quite well for six months, but enough is enough. Besides, it's getting cold and my poor pate chills easily.

While my eyebrows are returning quite nicely, my poor eyelashes still have to make their appearance. I think the loss of eyelashes was the hardest for me. No little hairs to protect my eyes and prevent me from looking like a googly-eyed alien. While I tried to fake eyelashes with my artfully applied eyeliner, I wasn't entirely pleased with the result.

I know I have to be patient, but it's getting more and more difficult every day. I'm done treatment, so my hair should come back already. I think that I'll feel more normal and more capable of having a normal life if I look normal. (Yes, normal is such a subjective word, but you know what I mean).

So I welcome the slllooooowwww return of my hair, even if it is platinum. Besides, when I have enough of it back, I can choose the colour of the silky strands.

Your still mostly bald friend,
Tina

1 comment:

  1. YEAH for PLATINUM!!! That is AWESOME, girlfriend!! VERY dignified!! Sign of wisdom...and knowledge - and you have all of the above!!

    Love you!!!
    R

    ReplyDelete