Thursday, May 20, 2010

Another step forward

When I made the choice not to stagnate yesterday, God decided to help with my quest.

A nurse from the cancer centre called yesterday afternoon to offer me an appointment for a CT scan today. Someone had cancelled and presented an open time. Of course, I took the appointment (otherwise I'd have to wait until the end of June). I'd rather know and deal with the results than wait, wonder and worry.

So I will go drink the 1.5 L of radioactive water, get the IV contrast and expose my body to the radioactive rays of the machine. All to produce some grey lumps and squiggles for the doctors to interpret. Then they'll be able to tell me what the heck is happening in my abdomen.

My follow-up appointment with BOTH Dr. P and Dr. W is set for June 1. I don't know why I'm seeing two doctors. Dr. W is a researcher and presents clinical trial opportunities. If the cancer is back, I doubt I'd qualify for a research study. Even if it's not, I didn't qualify before, so I don't think I'd be a candidate now. I guess I'll find out on June 1. Luckily, that's less than two weeks away.

Apparently, my last-minute appointment kiboshed some special plans for Michael. It's our 15th anniversary today and he was going to surprise me with a picnic lunch in the park across from my work. Now, we'll be spending noon hour in the hospital. My lunch will consist of radioactive liquids. Doesn't quite compare to the plans my sweetie had in mind.

For better, for worse, in sickness and in health - Michael is there through it all and (amazingly) loves me all the more. He's my rock, my soulmate, my true companion.

Spending our anniversary lunch in the hospital, while unromantic and clinical, seems slightly appropriate given the past year. Luckily, we have celebratory dinner reservations at a very nice restaurant for this evening where we can mark this special occasion properly.

Yup, I'd marry him all over again, and I couldn't imagine anyone better to share this journey called life.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Tina & Michael! May you have 50 more.

    ReplyDelete