Monday, May 17, 2010

Unbelievable

We had beautiful weather for the Run for Ovarian Cancer yesterday. It was an emotional, uplifting, exciting and exhausting day.

Team Tina had more than 50 members and raised over $11,000. With the generous London Life matching, we contributed over $17,000 to ovarian cancer research. I'm so proud and excited to be associated with such an amazing group of people. Who knows, maybe the dollars we contributed will lead to a breakthrough in detecting and treating this deadly cancer.

It was also an emotional day on many levels. I'm thrilled and honoured so many people come out to walk, run and fundraise as part of Team Tina. I don't feel I deserve that level of support and I feel so much love from those who participated, volunteered, came out to cheer or sponsored the run.

But it's also a difficult day because so many of those who valiantly fought ovarian cancer lost the battle. When diagnosed in its later stages, 60 per cent of women don't survive past four years. That statistic scares me and makes me so sad. These types of events, make me consider my own mortality and makes a voice in my head scream, "I'm not ready."

I did the 5k run yesterday, but I'm disappointed with how I did it. I walked more than ran and I was a sweaty, sore wreck. Michael, who was by my side the entire way, tells me he's proud of me and that I should be happy I simply completed the course. He tells me I'm wise for listening to my body. I just wish my body didn't tell me to stop so often.

But then again, I am here, one year later. Last year, when I promised to participate in this year's run, I wasn't sure I could stick to my word. But I did. Next year (oooh, it's scary to even say that), God willing, I'll be back to give it another try. If I'm able, I promise to train and do a better job.

I feel a bit teary today from yesterday's high emotions. I'm also a little behind on my sleep, which I'm sure doesn't help. I also feel at a bit of a loss because it's over. But I also feel very, very loved. And that makes me feel very happy and extremely lucky.

Thank you all,
Tina

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration to all....
    Hopefully BOTH of us will be able to run for MOST of the 5K next year.
    (maybe we should paint a yellow heart on our cheeks too,,, it seemed to work for Tara)
    and as for the $17,000.00,,,, WOO HOO!!! more $$$ for research to kick cancers' butt!!!

    ReplyDelete