Monday, May 3, 2010

Not just good

A couple of years ago, I participated in a group creative exercise where we were asked to completed the phrase, "A good man . . ."

". . . doesn't exist," said one participant.

". . . takes out the garbage and cuts the lawn," chimed in another.

A third, added the old adage, " . . . is hard to find."

My answer was, and still is, "A good man is at home."

Last year while I was off fighting cancer, a friend reminded me of this exercise and my response. It may sound cliche, but I do have a good man at home. I'm very lucky to have Michael in my life.

We met just over 17 years ago at a St. Joseph's Health Centre event. Unlike many of my friends who were already paired up, I was single at 26 years old. I'd been accused of being too picky and chastised for turning dates down when I wasn't interested in the individual asking. I'd just given up the idea of finding someone and decided to have a good time with my friends. As the saying goes, just when you least expect it . . .

The story is a little embarassing (to me), but I'll share the highlights anyway. That spring night, I'd been consuming some cold ones with some friends before a charity dance. When I met Michael, who arrived with a date, my immediate reaction was, "Wow!" Later on in the evening, the beers started talking and I told him I thought he was attractive.

The next morning, I kept berating myself for being so stupid, for being so forward, for drinking too much. Little did I know that when he went to family dinner that afternoon, he told his family he'd met someone. I guess I made an impresssion even in my off-kilter state.

We started dating two days after meeting and have been together ever since. In a couple of weeks, we'll celebrate 15 years of marriage. I guess waiting for Mr. Right instead of Mr. Right Now paid off for me.

Michael is incredibly supportive and loving. We've experienced our share of tribulations - Michael's ankle woes and surgeries, my difficult pregnancy, Noah's bipolar, ovarian cancer - but most of the time, they've made our relationship stronger.

Even when I broached going to Myrtle Beach with my sister, I didn't even get the words out of my mouth when he told me to go. He's a generous, kind individual and I can't even imagine my life without Michael.

I guess I knew with that first "wow" that I'd met my soul mate. I'm lucky enough to have not just a good man, but a great one at home with me.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. this is why I love him too... he is one the kindest, giving, wonderful men of my life also,,, I'm happy you share him with me (but I'm happy YOU wash his underwear and watch him defrag the computer!!) hahahah

    ReplyDelete