Friday, May 14, 2010

Appointment update

My appointment this morning was quick and I left with no definitive answers.

Dr. P is sending me for a CT scan because of my vague symptoms. He tapped my belly (and it sounded hollow, which was a relief), and conducted a vaginal and rectal exam. He said, he may have felt something during the rectal exam, but it could be nothing.

Since my CT scans haven't been entirely clear with their squiggly grey shapes, it probably isn't a bad idea to have another one done to rule out growth. I know it'll make me feel better if it comes back unremarkable. I know CT scans aren't good for me, and they could actually cause cancer, but I need to know my situation.

Dr. P's nurse, Kay, informed me that when ascities returns, it's very noticable, very quickly. That was quite reassuring. Michael and I also asked the somewhat stupid question of, "If all the gynaecological parts (including ovaraies) are missing, how can ovarian cancer return?" Apparently, it likes to grow on the walls and linings still remaining within the abdomen. She said sometimes a tumour will grow there, which requires another surgery.

But I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I feel slightly better after the appointment. Again, it's the waiting game - waiting for the CT scan to be scheduled, having it done, going to a follow-up appointment with Dr. P. This round isn't over, but I feel as if I have a slight reprieve.

In the meantime, I have a great weekend planned, which I'm going to enjoy. Friends are coming for dinner tomorrow night, and then the Run for Ovarian Cancer and a Survivor finale party are on Sunday. I also feel more cheerful with the reappearance of the sun and blue sky. It's a good day to be alive.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment