Monday, July 12, 2010

Confirmation of hotness

Last June, when I had my hysterectomy and oopherectomy, the menopausal hot flashes started immediately, and with a vengeance. When I began experiencing these annoying little bursts of heat, many friends commiserated with me because they understood the experience of surgically induced menopause. But I somehow knew mine were slightly different.

I suspected the chemotherapy enhanced the hot-flash experience. While the quantity of a dozen to 15 hot flashes per day tended to be consistent, those following the week of chemotherapy seemed to be more intense, producing almost nausea-like waves of heat.

But my treatment ended and I carried on with life. Over the months, the hot flashes lessened in number and intensity. I almost didn't notice them any more and experienced only half a dozen or so per day.

Then I was diagnosed with my reoccurence and the chemotherapy started again. Treatment brought the return of the hot flashes from hell. When they happen, I feel as though my body turns into a furnace that could heat a small room on a cold winter's day. Often, I have to sit directly in front of a fan so the cooling breeze can whisk away the sweat and waves of heat. Michael will sometimes comment on the beads of sweat that form on my forehead and under my eyes.

Yet, a week or so after treatment, when the chemo flushes itself out of my body, these annoying events return to the calm and gentle hot flashes of old.

While I suspected chemo-laced hot flashes are worse, round one of treatment confirmed my hypothesis. I wish I weren't right. I was ready to let those suckers fade into the sunset. But I guess I'm just too hot for them to loosen their hold on me just yet.

Your hot friend,
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment