Friday, July 23, 2010

The forgotten aches

As I've mentioned before, patience is not high on my list of virtues. I guess the learning-from-past-mistakes processor in my brain was malfunctioning yesterday too. I felt so good in the morning compared to earlier in the week, so I rubbed my hands together and said, "now what?"

When I emerge from the chemo fog, I immediately notice some of the little things I let slip. This time, it was the laundry. The overflowing hamper and lack of clean shorts directed my Tina sesnses (not quite as good as spidey senses, but you work with what you've got) to the laundry.

I'll admit, it felt really good to get that washing machine going, and I had my first load on the clothesline in my backyard before 9 a.m. Even mid-day, when I was hanging up the fifth load in the blazing hot sun, with sweat dripping down my bald head and into my eyes, I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment.

But when I was plucking the clothes off the line and folding them in the late afternoon, it all caught up to me. An overhwelming sense of weariness decended.

Of course, the storm clouds were marching their way to my vicinity, so time was of the essence. In the end, the heavy moisture dancing in the air didn't allow all my clothes to dry and some of them had to be carted inside and tossed in the dryer.

By this time, Michael was home and he helped me. To be fair, Noah did help carry baskets full of heavy, wet clothes into the backyard. He was willing to help when asked, but, stubborn me, didn't always make a request.

Again, I forgot the bone pain comes back if I do too much. I also forgot the overall body ache that creeps in after the intensive bone pains leave. So last night, my whole body felt as though I'd tumbled down a bumpy hill in some strange picnic game, leaving me sore all over. Michael tried rubbing the aching muscles, but to be honest, I could use another good massage.

Lesson learned (again): You'll feel really good, but take it easy. The overall body aches are still to come.

I know if I didn't try to beat the laundry into submission yesterday, the pain wouldn't have been as bad. Extra-strength Tylenol was my friend last night to enable me to go to sleep. Today, I feel better and promise to take it easier.

Needless to say, I have a big basket of clean clothes to put away today. But at least I have something to wear.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! "beat the laundry into submission"
    Seriously, you have one of the best senses of humor of everyone I know. And I know some dang funny people.

    ReplyDelete