Friday, July 2, 2010

Getting better

This afternoon, I finally feel as though I'm on the road to recovery. I feel better than I have since last weekend, and I feel hopeful.

This morning didn't have a great start. For some reason, I'm waking with a sore throat and a lot of gunk in my throat/chest. I had the strange combination of a voice like a 1-900 sex kitten, and the cough and phleghm (isn't that a gross-looking word?) of a 30-year chain smoker. Unfortunately, my poor stomach isn't stable from the acid washes of the last few days so I ended up throwing up my Cheerios. So much for breakfast.

But as the day progressed, I've felt better. The overall muscle aches, that feel as though I've been kicked around a bit, are almost gone. I'm experiencing horrible headaches, but the extra strength Tylenol is taking the edge off them as well. So all-in-all, I feel not bad.

I've been able to visit with a friend from work, eat a decent lunch, do some laundry and supervise the chores I assigned my kids today. I still feel tired, but I'm so much better.

Just to make sure these new symptoms were acceptable, I called my research nurse today. She talked me through my symptoms and consulted with the doctor. They've decided to switch up my anti-nausea medication to something stronger, for longer, starting tonight. I don't know if this is status quo from now on or whether they'll reassess its need in a cycle or two.

Personally, I think my body has gone out of whack and it'll take some time to get it back on track. But like I said before, I'm sure they'll come up with the right combination of meds to make this work for me.

So I have five more doses of Olaparib until I'm done for this cycle. I take it for 10 days with chemotherapy and then have 10 or 11 days off. So my body will get a break before I have to try it all again.

I continue to be amazed at the support of those so many around me - family, friends, colleagues, neighbours. The thoughtful folks who organize the Run for Ovarian Cancer continue to be supportive and I'm truly grateful. I sometimes feel overwhelmed at the generosity of others. I'm proud to call you my village, because I think it takes a village to beat ovarian cancer.

It's a difficult, lonely road alone and I'm so very fortunate to have your company as I tread its path.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment