Saturday, July 17, 2010

The fight continues

My time in the chemo suite yesterday, from start until finish, took five hours. At 9 a.m. I swallowed the four Olparib capsules, and the nurse pulled the needle out of my arm at 2 p.m. At the end, my arm with the I.V. started to burn and I didn't get the full saline flush, but the nurse said it really didn't matter. The burning wasn't due to an allergic reaction, even though I'd been warned I could have a reaction with my eighth dose of this chemo drug, but because my vein started to collapse because it had enough.

I was lucky because it only took one needle stick this time around. Maybe my positive attitude worked. I think it also helped us avoid the two accidents that happened on the 401 and 403. We heard about them on the radio before we left. But the one was after our turn off to the 403 and the other was past our turn off in Hamilton.

But I've adopted a new title. I've determined I'm now the medication queen. In a little over 24 hours, I swalled 34 different tablets:

The evening before chemo:
1 Prilosec - to prevent acid
5 Dexamethasone tablets - for nausea
1 lorazepam - to help me sleep

The morning before chemo started:
5 Dexamethasone tablets - for nausea
2 calcium D tablets - to keep my bones strong
1 vitamin C - to boost my immune system
1 flax seed - for heart health
1 Prilosec - to prevent acid
1 Ondansetron - for nausea
4 Olaparib capsules - the clinical trial drug
1 Benadryl - to prevent allergic reaction
1 Ranitidine - to prevent allergic reaction and stomach acid

The evening after chemo:
1 Dexamethasone - for nausea
1 Ondansetron - for nausea
1 Colasce - to help with constipation (caused by the Ondansetrone)
1 Ducusate - to help with constipation
1 Prilosec - to prevent acid
4 Olaparib - the wonder drug that kills the cancer
1 Lorazepam - to help me sleep

For the next week, I'll continue to be the queen of pills. Hopefully they all work, and this round is much easier than the last one. My research nurse told me to call if I experience anything too painful and she'll help me manage the symptoms wherever possible.

Despite taking my Lorazepam last night, I slept terribly because of the steroids (the dexamethasone). Hopefully, the tiredness will win tonight and I'll sleep like the dead. My tastebuds have started to retreat a little and my water is even starting to taste a little funny. Oh well. I can't do just about anything for a week.

I can also feel the little stealth ninjas going to work in my abdomen and on my omental cake. They're attacking those damn cancer cells, and while they cause a little bit of stomach discord, it's worth it to know the battle has begun.

While I was off at chemo, angels made and delivered food to my home. Now me and my family have wonderful meals and treats to eat while I'm recovering from this latest chemo blasting. Thank you, my friends. I am very grateful.

So, in short, I'm doing well considering all my body is going through. The best part, the fight has once again begun.

Your cancer slayer friend,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all went well....remember, call your nurse if you feel anything weird, girl!! It may take time for you to find the "right cocktail" for relief of your symptoms!!

    You are SO brave and I am so proud of you! Can't wait to see you in a month! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I hated the Dexamethasone ... they made me crazy ... or should I say crazier ;)

    ReplyDelete