Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ready to rock n roll

Chemotherapy is on for tomorrow and I'm ready to go. At my appointment yesterday, my research nurse, C, said my white blood cells recovered amazingly and they're now 3.9. (Remember, they were 0.3 last Wednesday and 1.6 on Friday. I need at least 1.5 to get chemo).

I also had over 2-1/2 L of ascities drained out of me, so I feel better. It didn't all come out and I still have a spare tire circling my belly, but I suspect some of that's just pudgey ol' me. But I don't look like Santa any more, complete with the jiggling belly. The doc and C said the second round of chemo should convince the tumours to stop secreting fluid and dry up what remains.

I asked why I was experiencing so much fluid this time, and C said some tumours are protein based and therefore produce ascities, which is full of protein. I questioned whether the type of tumour made a difference in its response to treatment. She quickly said no, but then paused and revised her response to say, "I don't know." Perhaps that's something else that could be studied.

Speaking of studies, while I was being drained C and the doc were talking about the results of two of the women who are participating in the Olaparib study. They've completed three rounds of chemo with the drug and had their mid-term CT scan. The results showed the cancer is responding very, very well to the combined treatment. They were very impressed and pleased with the results, using encouraging words like "complete regression." I was pumped after hearing that. I'm on that drug!

The study itself is almost closed to participants in Hamilton - they had six spots. Talk about fortitous timing on my part (even though it meant I had to experience a reoccurence within nine months). Participating in this study was meant to be - and it's meant to work to keep me around for a long, long time.

I had a wonderful day with my friend, Rachael. We talked and talked. She didn't even get much of a chance to enjoy her book because I talked her ear off.

So today, I take care of a few chores, get some yummy groceries for at chemo, and gather my mental strength for tomorrow and the days ahead. I'm ready to fight again.

Die cancer die!
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Go Tina Go! Stand up and fight. Our thoughts are with you. You will beat this enemy.

    ReplyDelete