Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Needs adjusting

I began this blog yesterday and then blogger went down. I couldn't access it for the rest of the day, so I couldn't post. I didn't forget about those of who read regularly to ensure I'm doing okay.

I think the pharmacological cocktail I'm currently consuming needs to be tweaked. It works quite well for the first six or seven days to control the acid, nausea and bone pain. But on day eight or so - during the weekend - my body went a little wonky.

I think the stomach acid starts to overpower the Prilosec I'm taking to control it and merrily sloshes around in my belly. It makes my stomach hard, produces stabbing pains and makes me long for a really good belch to relieve some of the pressure. I walk to get the gases moving. I pop Tums or Gaviscon. I moan a little bit.

I know the Olaparib is the culprit. But not taking it isn't an option. Instead, I'll mention my symptoms to the research team tomorrow to see what they recommend. Perhaps the doc will whip out his prescription pad to provide me with an additional or different medication to provide relief.

I'm now done round two of chemo and Olaparib. I now have 10 days to recover, eat when and what I want, and build up my blood cells (although my white blood cells are probably approaching their lowest levels in the next day or two so I have to be extra careful about germ exposure).

I also get to cut down on the amount of pills I swallow. I've gone from taking approximately 25 a day to five pills - four of those being vitamins I take even when I'm not in cancer treatment.

This week my mom starts her LAST round of chemotherapy. She has the big infusion tomorrow that consists of three types of chemotherapy. Then next Wednesday she'll get her last little infusion with the one chemo that causes minimal side effects. Yay!

So I'll feel fine for the long weekend and my mom will be going through her yucky days. But they'll be her last ones.

I should be able to enjoy the long weekend. While I'm still a little tired, my stomach is starting to recover and I'm able to do more. I get to go out and enjoy life.

On the agenda today: lunch with some friends, perhaps a Reiki appointment at Wellspring and teaching my son how to make a meal from beginning to end. Not a bad way to spend a summer's day in late July.

Enjoy
Tina

1 comment:

  1. HURRAY for being moms last big treatment!!! And hurray for you having a great day planned!! What are you teaching Noah to make,,,,? Maybe a little S & BS? fried?? hahah
    enjoy your day Tina, it's going to be fabulous!!
    DCD

    ReplyDelete