Thursday, July 8, 2010

Go white

Danger, danger, Will Robinson.

Okay, some of you won't get that Lost in Space reference because you're too young. But I couldn't resist.

I went to my weekly blood check appointment in Hamilton yesterday. After the vampires, oops, lab techs, drew my blood, I saw the nurse and doctor (both new faces to me because my regular ones are on vacation). I went over my laundry list of medications and symptoms I'd experienced over the past week, including my cold and cough. I mentioned my experiences seem to be short but intense. For example, I sneezed alot and had sinus congestion for only two days before the cough moved in. Hopefully, it'll move on quickly too.

Then, I asked about my ever-important blood levels. Apparently, my white blood cell levels have dropped too low. The nurse explained the minimum they'd like to see is 0.5 and I need 1.5 to get chemo again. My level is currently 0.3. Yikes!

I've never had a problem with my white blood cell (WBC) count before. But then again, I've never had my blood drawn two weeks post chemo before. Maybe these cells recover rapidly over the next few days. I'm pretty sure the Olaparib and my cold contributed to the low count. In fact, I probably got the cold because my white blood cells are low.

So what can I do? The doc said to avoid crowds and touching objects. I'll admit, I haven't been nearly as vigilant as I should be in using my hand sanitizer and being aware in potentially germ-infested situations. While letting my guard down may not have contributed to the low WBC counts, it could have prevented this cold.

My complaints about my cough, which sometimes produces a little rattle in my chest, prompted a requisition for a chest x-ray. So off I trudged to the radiology department in the Henderson Hospital (attached to the Juravinski Cancer Centre). Luckily, it didn't take long.

I also have to visit the vampires again tomorrow for another blood test. Luckily, I can do that in London. On Wednesday, I go back to Hamilton for yet another blood test (the fifth in four weeks) and a visit with the doctor. They've booked me in for chemo on Friday under the assumption my WBC count will increase enough by then.

It dawned on me yesterday they're watching me like a hawk because I'm a guinea pig. They don't know all the potential side effects and ramifications of giving a person this combination of chemotherapy with Olaparib. They have to be very careful to ensure my safety. What they learn from me will help determine how this drug is used in the future.

This particular clinical trial studying Olaparib in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel will involve only 150 women in 50 countries around the world. That's a pretty select group. It's actually a miracle I'm in this study and got the drug. Now it needs to work to kill the cancer cells. Just think, I could be the new poster girl for Olaparib.

Despite the slightly distressing news about my WBC count, I had a good day yesterday, My friend, Amanda, drove me to my appointment and it gave us an overdue opportunity to catch up. Thanks to her, I didn't have to attend my appointment alone.

My mom started her fifth round of chemo yesterday and is doing well. Go mom go! Angie and her occupied the London cancer centre while Amanda and I hit the one in Hamilton. Thank God we have such amazing health care facilities within driving distance to home.

So, I'll be a bit of a homebody over the next few days, mentally coaxing my body to recover. I want chemo next Friday so I can continue to kick this blasted disease.

Praying for white blood cells,
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Power of positive prayer girl!! GET THOSE WHITE BLOOD CELLS UP!!!

    ReplyDelete