Monday, June 14, 2010

Better

The whole process took 4-1/2 hours, but the end result is worth it. Even though I still have lots of fluid remaining in my abdomen, the paracentesis relieved me of just under 2-1/2 litres (making me 5-1/2 pounds lighter).

I am now able to breathe easier, eat an entire meal and sit more comfortably. Hopefully I'll also be able to sleep better tonight and get some much needed rest.

Here is a picture of me from yesterday, bloated beyond belief and very, very uncomfortable. It affected my mood and I was somewhat withdrawn and anxious. I now feel much lighter in body and spirit.



I arrived a little early for my 9 a.m. appointment, only to discover the nurses in the stretcher bay were in a meeting. Okay, slight delay, I thought. Oh, how wrong I was. I got into the procedure room to discover the time of my ultrasound appointment was 10 a.m. An hour wait, during which the nurse took my vitals - and I read my book.

I was then wheeled through the hospital, on my stretcher, down to ultrasound. Once there, I waited for about 10 minutes until the technicial steered me in for the goopy process. After she identified what she thought were two or three good pockets of fluid, a radiologist (and his intern) came in to take another look and mark my abdomen with a black magic marker.

He got me to shift into an optimal position for "getting all the gravy out of the pan." I was in a reclined sitting position, tilted to the left and resting on my left buttock. This position required me to keep my balance with my right leg in a bent position on the bed. No problem, I thought. Little did I know how long I was going to have to stay that way. Once the radiologist marked the spot with an x, I wasn't supposed to move.

Calling the porter and transporting me back to the cancer centre took a good 15 minutes. Then I had to wait for the doctor for about 25 minutes. By that point, my leg cramped painfully. But I held my position. I wasn't going through all this to lose the ideal drainage spot.

The procedure itself was painful. Not necessarily the needle going in (although that wasn't exactly a piece of cake), but the doctor moving it around in my belly to get the ideal spot hurt like a son of a gun. Once the fluid started flowing, the pain dulled to a managable stinging, burning sensation.

The worst part was when the suction pulled an organ up to the needle, and when the flow slowed to a drip and the doc tried to move the needle around to find another pocket of fluid. He must have nicked my intestines (or some other organ) with the end of the needle, because blood started to flow in the bottle and I experience a really sharp pain. By that point, he decided he'd drained enough.

The relief was instantaneous. I could take a deep breath and my very hungry stomach actually made a hollow, growlingy sound instead of a muffled, squished sensation.

Tonight, I feel discomfort where the needle went in and deep in my abdomen (my injured organ?), and I think I'm bruised under my ribs from the inside out. It still hurts to sneeze (so my body actually supresses them) or cough. Hopefully, it's remnants of too many days of being too full and not because I still have too much fluid remaining in me.

I'll continue to fill while the tumours are still present to produce fluid, but the chemotherapy should quickly start to make those nasty interlopers more worried about maintaining their existence than trying to make my life uncomfortable.

Off to Hamilton tomorrow to meet with Dr. H. We'll devise a plan of attack and secure a date (soon, I hope) to start blasting that parasitic cancer.

I'm heading to bed soon. I have to get some good solid shut eye so I can be strong and ready to start the long, uphill battle. But I CAN do it!

Tina

9 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get some relief! Get some rest Tina and get your game face on!!!

    Good luck tomorrow... and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ofcourse you can do it... it's better to fight than the alternative. (oh clan,,, shhhhh,,, it's a running joke we have,, it's called black humour)
    Today is Tuesday, the Hamilton day,, I wish you great success in being accepted into the clinical study, I wish for the drug, not the placebo, and I wish pray (yes, that's right,, me praying,, who would've thought heh?) that you blast this fekking cancer from your body once and for all.
    today at 10:00,, everyone say a prayer for Tina ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really need to start reading my blogs before I post them,,, "I wish pray,,," (it's the newest thing in praying these days,,, to 'wish pray') geezzzzzzzz HelMUT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina
    Glad to hear you're feeling some relief. Good luck in Hamilton today!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we are all praying that the treatment starts soon and we can get our darling Tina on the road to good health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina,
    Good luck in Hamilton today. I am so glad you are feeling better with the fluid off you. Fight, fight, fight. And when you are tired, hug someone you love and fight some more.
    Love you!!
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darlin girl.

    Feel me close. Know that your are deep in my heart, and always in my thoughts.

    I love you with all my heart, and you will beat this. I have faith in you.

    Go Girl!!

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Rack! ;)
    I hope today is going awesome for you! You sure are one tough cookie! (with a nice rack)

    Lots of love and positive vibes and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good fight, you will triumph yet. You are an inspiration and a blessing to the people like myself who have had the good fortune of getting to know you. God bless you.

    Randolph

    ReplyDelete