Monday, June 21, 2010

The poop of it all

Usually it's only with the very young or very old that you take note of bowel movements. Most people know they generally go once a day, several times a day or once every several days. Unless you feel backed up or have a bowel issues, you probably don't pay much attention.

I'm now the exception to that general rule. When I poop, it's a good day. Every time I visit the doctor, I'm asked if I'm still able to produce a bowel movement. With cancer looping all over my bowels and suffocating my cecum, defecating is a good sign.

I remember when my kids were babies and Michael and I would track each diaper change - both pee and poop - to ensure our little darlings were consuming enough sustenance. The quantity and consistency were stinky barometers of health.

I even recall one incident when my son was a toddler, climbing around on the couch. He'd taken his diaper off and was relishing his bare-bottomed freedom. Luckily, I was monitoring his explorations and noticed when he started to poop. With no diaper, and no time, I caught the offending brown production in my bare hands. My hands wash easily; the couch, not so much.

I read that comedian and actress, Gilda Radner's ovarian cancer temporarily stopped her bowel function. Her doctor said, she was literally full of shit.

It's an action I'd never really given much thought to before, but now appreciate. It's amazing how the bodily functions we take for granted become very important when they stop working as designed.

This is going to sound funny, but think of me next time you have a good bowel movement and realize how lucky you are that your organs are functioning properly.

Yours in good poop,
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Chemotherapy screwed up my digestive tract so terribly I am thankful every day when things are working properly. You're right, it's something we all take for granted... and here you are having the courage to write about it. Go you!

    ReplyDelete