Thursday, June 17, 2010

The price of the prize

You have to pay the price. You will find that everything in life exacts a price, and you will have to decide whether the price is worth the prize.
                                                     - Sam Nunn

Yesterday, I talked about clinical trial drug, Olaparib, and how much I want to gently caress the computer and speak to it nicely (with all my fingers, legs and arms crossed) before it randomly selects whether I'm one of those chosen to test this drug. Unfortunately, that unfeeling hunk of wires, plastic and metal will not take into consideration my winning personality, strength or sense of humour. It'll spit out the answer and that will be that.

From what I hear, the research to date points to extremely positive and exciting results from Olaparib for those with BRCA gene mutations. Clinical trials are filling quicker than anticipated because of these promising results.

But as the quote above says, there's a price to pay to benefit from the PARP inhibitor, Olaparib. Regardless of the side effects, I've determined they're worth the price to obtain the prize of a longer, disease-free period - and ultimately, a longer life.

Apparently, Olaparib itself has minimal side effects. But it apparently increases the nastiness of chemotherapy side effects. In fact, patients who receive the drug will receive a lower dose of Carboplatin because of the increased risk of blood toxicity, including a reduction in platlets, red blood cells and certain white blood sells. Recovery from these side effects, also takes longer with Olaparib.

So if I look back at my chemo treatments last year, some of the side effects I may experience again - but to a greater degree - are:

- Nausea (and potentially vomiting)
- Fatigue (feeling extremely tired, weary, exhausted)
- Lymphopenia (decrease in the number of blood cells to fight infection)
- Tachycardia (increased heart rate)
- Abdominal pain and distention
- Diarrhea and/or constipation
- Dyspepsia (indigestion)
- Peripheral oedema (swelling of hands and feet)
- Dysgeusia (abnormal taste)
- Anorexia (loss of appetite)
- Muscle spasm
- Pain in joints, back, chest, muscles and bones
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia - Ya think? I have cancer!

If my white blood cells drop so low that I'd be unable to fight infection, Dr. H may prescribe a drug, called a Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor or G-CSF to boost these cells. If my red blood cells drop too low, I may require a transfusion. So keep donating blood, my friends!

Of course, the additional side effects of hair loss, numbness in hands and feet due to nerve damage, skin and mouth sores, weakness, etc. will become part of my life again, as well. So be it.

As with any clinical trial, they document every medication, vitamin and herbal supplement I currently take. Some are okay, and others have been nixed from my regime. If I want to take anything different from what Dr. H prescribes or Tylenol, I have to check to ensure it's okay. And I can't eat grapefruit or drink its juice. Good thing it's not a common part of my diet. But don't you crave what you can't have?

Of course, if I don't get selected to receive Olaparib, I'll follow the same regime as last time (with grapefruit juice, if desired).

Yes, the list is long. Yes, it's going to suck. I'll whine and moan. I'll pop my painkillers. I'll attend the multitude of appointments. That's the price to put me on the road to health. Or at least on the road to defeating cancer.

Tina

P.S. One year ago today, I went under the scalpel for my hysterectomy, bilateral salpino-oopherectomy and tumour/omentum removal. Unfortunately, some microscopic dust remained after the surgery and chemo blasting. Soon, we'll start trying to damage them again; for good this time.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yes for good this time Tina. We are with you every step of the way, if there was any way I/we could shoulder some of the awful symptoms you know we would. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. anorexia,,,, you??? MAYBE loss of appetite,,,only from the nausea,,, but anorexia??
    HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!! please...
    (I really did chuckle with that one)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I laughed at anorexia. Never, ever, ever. I gain weight by looking at food so a loss of appetite won't even touch my pudge.

    ReplyDelete