Thursday, June 24, 2010

A holding pattern

It must be fate that my chemo was postponed by a day. I'm not happy about it, but it allows me to relax a bit before the chaos begins. I have an extra day to rest, work, pack up the necessary essentials for the long day at chemo and generally organize life.

Even though I would have LOVED to have started killing cancer today, last night would have been crazy with getting Tara to her riding lesson, shuffling the kids to my in-laws, packing up the cancer bag and quaffing my anti-nausea medication. This way, I can take it all a bit slower.

I also got to see my mom briefly yesterday. Her appointment to get chemo and then two quarts of blood took a lot longer than expected. Angie accompanied her, as usual, but had her own appointments to attend yesterday afternoon. So Michael and I picked up mom and she waited for Angie at our house.

She's now completed round four of chemo and is doing relatively well. Her red blood cell counts were low, so she got a transfusion yesterday. She's also feeling very tired, which I hope the blood will remedy. Of course, there's the various aches and pains in the bones, which are mostly in her legs - but especially her knees. Those nasty chemo side effects!

But she's a trooper and only has two more rounds to go. Yay mom!

As she finishes round four, I start round one - tomorrow. The Thomas women are kicking some serious cancer butt!

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning, and send me good karma. Hope I get the Olaparib and it only takes one stick to get the chemo needle in.

Your trying-to-be-patient friend,
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment