Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The fight for life

It's amazing what humans will do to stay alive. I am anxiously waiting to have toxic chemicals infused into my body in an attempt to shrink and kill the rapidly growing tumours. This same chemical cocktail will kill off the good, rapidly dividing cells, wreak havoc with my body and drop me into a black pit of emotional despair.

I will go through it all again to maintain the life I love for as long as possible.

In fact, I'm signing on for even more discomfort (to put it mildly) by volunteering to be part of the clinical trial for the PARP inhibitor, Olaparib. But if it works to kill the cancer and keep it dormant in my body, I'll put up with the nasty side effects. Although, I have to admit, I'll probably complain as I experience them.

According to the study outline, Olaparib is a drug that damages the DNA of the tumour cells so they cannot continue to grow. Usually, when DNA becomes damaged, chemicals inside the cell try to repair it. But Olaparib stops one of the repair chemicals (PARP-1) from fixing broken pieces of the DNA.

"It is thought that many cancers develop due to genetic abnormalities and when this occurs, PARP activity may be increased. The ability of some cancers to escape the body's normal DNA repair systems and also to resist chemotherapy treatment may also be because of the PARP process. Drugs that slow down or block the activity of PARP may potentially be effective when given alone or when given in combination with some anti-cancer drugs. Olaparib may increase the ability of chemotherapy to kill cancer cells by preventing the cancer cells from repairing damaged DNA. This causes the cancer cells to die."

That's what I want to hear. This particular study is to test to effectiveness of Olaparib in combination with the chemotherapies Paclitaxel and Carboplatin.

During my appointment in Hamilton yesterday, Dr. H and his research assistant, C, explain how the drug works, the time frame for the clinical trial, the necessary tests and extra appointments involved with being part of the study, and the potential side effects of the drugs.

It's not 100 per cent sure I'll even be accepted until into the research assistant has to go over my chart very carefully and compare it with the research criteria. My slight reaction during my first chemotherapy treatment may also have the slight possibility of excluding me. I also haven't signed on the dotted line yet because legally, I had to have time to go away and think about it.

If I'm eligible, I'll go back next week to sign the paperwork and participate in the required testing to start the clinical trial. This includes a new CT scan, an electrocardiogram (ECG) to check my heart health, more bloodwork and a physical exam.

Oh, and I will find out if I'm getting Olaparib. While I was trying to sell myself to Dr. H and C as the ideal candidate for the drug, the company randomly assigns participants via a computer (input my patient number, get the yes or no). So I'll either be taking the capsules during my chemotherapy and afterwards as maintenance, or I'll just get the chemo, which is currently considered the best treatment. Nonetheless, I'll get regular monitoring and extra tests for being part of the clinical trial.

Even though I hate waiting, I feel I've taken the first step towards getting the necessary treatment. It all starts next week, when I'll know exactly what we're doing and begin treatment. Until then, I work, hang out with friends, take my kids to appointments and live life. That's what it's all about.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. AUGH!!!!!!!!! The waiting is so very annoying!! I can just imagine how you feel!!!! C'MON ALREADY!!
    Well, never the less, it is definately good news and I'm sure they will have you in their trial.. afterall,,, IT'S YOU!! Who wouldn't want you??

    ReplyDelete