Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cue ball

I'm now as bald as a cue ball. Think Andre Agassi, Britney Spears and Sinead O'Connor (for those of you old enough to remember her). I'm THAT bald.

It feels very strange. At first my scalp felt tingly when I touched it. I think it's because that skin hasn't been exposed since around my first birthday. After 41 years of being protected by hair, my scalp is a little sensitive.

But I have to admit, bald is far better than maintaing the thin hair with which I was left (yes, I could do a comb over). I took a shower yesterday afternoon to dislodge more, to no avail. After I towel dried what remained of my hair, I stood in front of the bathroom window. With the light streaming in behind me, Michael said I looked like a baby oranguntan. Not a look I want to maintain. The comment horrified me.

Margaret and Michael say I have a beautiful scalp with no unusual bumps and ridges. They assured me I look great. But last night, every time I looked in the mirror, it screamed BALD at me. I'm getting used to it this morning and a little bit of self tanner will help my white pate blend in with the skin on my face.

I can't believe how cold my head gets - and I haven't even gone outside yet. When I reach inside the fridge to retrieve an item, I'm startled at its cold air hitting my head. Sitting here writing, I can feel a breeze. It's ridiculous.

Okay, I know you men who have receeding/thinning hairlines are saying "welcome to the club," but I went from all there to bald in less than 12 hours. No gradual adjustment period for me. And I'm a woman. People WILL stare.

Michael's shave off is Wednesday afternoon because Margaret didn't have time yesterday. He currently has longish, very thick hair. He's in for an adjustment. Then he'll know what I'm talking 'bout.

I'm going to save a fortune on shampoo and conditioner. And I still have my eyebrows and eyelashes. Yes, the glass is half full this morning.

So as you run your fingers through your hair, think of me and chuckle.

Your bald friend,
Tina





8 comments:

  1. You are, I'm sure, as beautiful as ever with or without hair!!! And how sweet, your hubby is shaving his head too! Just remember it will grow back...and soon your bald phase will be just a memory :)

    Keep smiling.
    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will grow back thick and beautiful....don't you worry, my friend...

    As for Michael...I didn't know he was going for the bald look! AWESOME, POSSUM!!

    Did you get some hats yet? I am sure you are getting a lot of them...

    What I would love to see is a picture of you on your motorcycle...with a scarf on your head - you know, how people tie it behind their neck on the back of their head! That would be cool!!

    I am sure that your beautiful eyes are just shining away....

    Love you tons sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina,

    Your face doesn't need hair to exude it's beauty!
    These have been some tough days to get through. I admire your strength and ability to write down and share what you are going through.
    I have a hat that I'd like you to have. It has always brought me good luck in my running. I hope it will bring you good luck during your battle.

    What would be the best way to get it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey darlin. I bet you look fabulous.

    What a husband you have. You are one lucky girl, as he is one lucky guy. You are an amazing couple.

    You could start a trend with different hats and scarfs, although it will only be short term.

    Just imagine how beautiful your hair will look when it comes back. It might not even be a different colour. I have heard of that happening before.

    Keep smiling darlin. The glass is always half full.

    Love you darlin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Honey,,,
    I think you should post a picture of you in all your bald glory..
    Orangutan??? HAHAH,,, just about lost it over that one,, I think you should trim Mikey up nice and short and wispy and see how he looks..!! ha ha
    love you honey,, see you later this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina,

    I am pretty sure if I see you in public I will stare ... but not because I know you have cancer or that you look strange but rather because I will want to soak in all that is beautiful in you, your strength, your courage, your wisdom, your grace, your humour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina! You're so great, always ending on the 'glass is half full' points. I was thinking about you, wondering how you'd feel about it and then I thought... wait a minute! Now is the time to experiment with all kinds of hair! Thanks to wig technology these days, you could have short blonde hair one day, long curly ringlets the next, and on day three, go purple! Then people will stare because they wonder who they heck that celebrity with gorgeous hair is.

    You might loose your hair, but you will never, ever loose your beauty!

    Love ya, girl!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sinead O'Connor. Oh, yeah. I remember her for sure. She had such a cool look.

    ReplyDelete