Sunday, May 17, 2009

Phenomenal friends



It takes a special kind of person to sport the bald look in support of a friend with cancer. I'm lucky enough to have three such amazing people in my life. As you know, Michael gained hair freedom on Wednesday.

Well, last night, Diane and Pete joined us at our abode for some dinner and fortifying beers (mine was ginger ale, to keep my tummy settled) before the big event. Pete, sat in the sacrificial chair first and Diane had fun, creating tuffs, leaving sideburns, making a reverse mohawk, etc. before the shaving cream and razor hit his head.

Prior to last night, Diane was growing her hair and sported a long bob. She could finally braid and style her hair in fun and different ways. I reminded her (and Pete) yet again they didn't have to go bald - that I was okay with it. Without hesitation, they both reaffirmed this gesture of support.

They call us Bratschers their clan. Definition: a family one chooses, not the one into which one is born. How awesome is that!

I think Pete had even more fun when he got the clippers into Diane's hair. He created unique designs, including a T in support of Tina, a cross, a pathway with thin strips and long sections, and maintained a small braid at the front. At one point, she looked like Golum from Lord of the Rings and called me "my precious." Too funny. Finally, she told Pete to finish the job.

We had a ball last night, with lots of laughs. And I have to say, they look good bald. In fact, we all look good bald - as you can tell from the photo I've posted. This is our surprised look - the way everyone will look when they see us walking down the beach in Port Franks. Ha!

This hair-sacrificing gesture of support really touches my heart. Diane and Pete are amazing friends and I love them to the ends of the earth for joining my small, but mighty bald crew.

Enjoy this Sunday with the sunshine on your face, or for a few special few, on your proud bald head.

Tina


5 comments:

  1. Wow! What amazing friends you have my dear sister and they are very brave to support you with the "bald look". Way to go Diane and Pete! You all look MARVELOUS! (and only a little like the 4 coneheads :)
    Tina- you are an inspiration to us all with your spirit and continuous cheerfulness during this difficult time. Even at chemo on Friday, where the atmosphere is decidly somber, you smiled and chatted with everyone. "Bouncing" up to the reception desk is probably something new for them and I think will be one of the keys to beating this nasty disease. Keep up the spirit and enjoy a sunny sunday.
    Love ya,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think of myself as terribly sentimental, but that picture brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad you have such amazing friends so close to you. Your determination and courageousness are contagious, and I know they will serve you well.

    I wish I could get down to see you, and will try to before school lets out. In the meantime, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

    Love,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! What amazing friends. You guys look great. Bald is definitely beautiful.

    Tina, you are an inspiration to us all. Keep smiling darlin girl.

    I love you so very much. I am truly blessed to have in my life.

    Always in my thoughts.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi honey,,,
    well, today, first day of baldness. You're so right when you say people look at you funny, or in sympathy... the walk on the beach today was fabulous,,, AND hilarious!! As bad as the dog was today running in between people, misbehaving, being a pest, everyone seemed annoyed,, UNTIL THEY SAW THE HEAD!!! HA HA HA!! You can just imagine that Pete and I milked it for everything we could!! hahah
    Tina, you and Mike ARE our clan, we love you, we support you, we will travel this journey together,,, The spa is always open for you ANYTIME... (but you know that)
    I love you sista from anotha mista... xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...what an incredible picture!! LOVE IT!! I am truly inspired by everything you write about...and all the friends and support you have around you!!

    Kudosto Diane, Pete and to Michael.... FANTASTIC Clan you have!! :-)

    Know that we all love you....near and far!!

    Alfredo and I (as I told you in an email) did a "test run" of the walk next weekend. I couldn't believe that when we measured the distance it was 6.08 km!! So, we are looking forward to it next Sunday as we walk at the same time as you all....and are there in spirit!!

    Lots of love to you....and hugs and smiles across the miles!!!
    R

    ReplyDelete