Friday, May 29, 2009

Still just Tina

Life's a journey not a destination And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings. - Amazing

These lines by Aerosmith often run through my head (of course, once they do, I'm singing the whole song, with botched words and hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmms for the ones I don't know). But these two sentences are one of my mantras these days. Not a bad one to have.

I want to share some insights about a thought-provoking article I read yesterday about a woman who was traumatized by breast cancer and the scars left on her body by the treatments. She said cancer ruined her life and her body.

I can't identify with a lot of what the woman said, because I'm a far more positive person, but I can identify with her feelings that cancer changed her life. I wrote about some of the positive changes yesterday.

On the negative side, I commmiserate with her fear. I do believe I'm going to beat this disease and be cancer free at the end of treatments. But I will fear, the rest of my life, its return. In the end, it may be treated like a chronic disease, like diabetes. But who knows what new treatments research will bring as I travel down this road (using the money raised by Team Tina!). I will need to learn to manage that fear so it doesn't debilitate me. Because I need to take advantage of every day, month, year and decade given to me.

Apparently, some women experience a loss at the end of their treatments when they should be happy the cancer is gone. They feel immobilized by the fear it will return. When the constant treatment and follow up is finished, it's a free fall period of waiting and hoping. I don't know how I'll react at this stage, but I can already understand this fear. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I could also identify with this woman's dislike of her body after the surgery - and I haven't even had the surgery yet. She felt disfigured and ruined. The interviewer in the book encouraged her to look at her body and marvel at its healing abilities.

I already have lots of scars on my body and this surgery is going to add one doozey. I'm trying to mentally prepare for the scars and the recovery process. It's hard, but look at the alternative - not having surgery means dying of cancer. Not even an option. So cut away, doctor, because my body will heal.

In one major respect, I'm very different than the woman in the article. She let cancer and what it did to her body identify her very being. I know I am so many more things than just cancer. I am a wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, writer, athlete, skydiver, crazy person, who is also currently fighting cancer.

While the cancer experience is changing me, like any major experience in life, at the core of who I am, I'm still just Tina. I may live, laugh and love a little more intensely, but it's for the same reasons I had before my diagnosis.

With lots of love on this Friday morning,
Tina

3 comments:

  1. Darlin girl.

    This disease will definitely not define who you are. You are just Tina, and yet much more than that. You are a vital human being, who has blessed so many lives along the way.

    This is the ride of a life time for you. Prepare yourself, but don't let it define you.

    By the way, sitting on my desk is a plaque that reads "Life is a Journey Not a Destination". We are on the same wave length darlin.

    Go get it!!

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get annoyed when I don't know all the lyrics to a song. So here you go!

    Amazing lyrics
    I kept the right ones out
    And let the wrong ones in
    Had an angel of mercy to see me through all my sins
    There were times in my life
    When I was goin' insane
    Tryin' to walk through
    The pain
    When I lost my grip
    And I hit the floor
    Yeah,I thought I could leave but couldn't get out the door
    I was so sick and tired
    Of livin' a lie
    I was wishin that I
    Would die

    [Chorus:]
    It's Amazing
    With the blink of an eye you finally see the light
    It's Amazing
    When the moment arrives that you know you'll be alright
    It's Amazing
    And I'm sayin' a prayer for the desperate hearts tonight

    That one last shot's a Permanent Vacation
    And how high can you fly with broken wings?
    Life's a journey not a destination
    And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings

    You have to learn to crawl
    Before you learn to walk
    But I just couldn't listen to all that righteous talk, oh yeah
    I was out on the street,
    Just tryin' to survive
    Scratchin' to stay
    Alive
    [Chorus]

    Great blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tina the glass is half full attitude is the best. I have had some major surgeries also.
    Some that you are contemplating. Go with it. You are who you define yourself to be. Tina and no one else. As my husband says. He married ME not my body.

    ReplyDelete